Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: dribbling 912ul

Default dribbling 912ul

I have a 912ul that has been sitting up for a few years. The problem is when I turn on the electic fuel pump, gas runs out of both carb vents tubes. Obviously something is gummed up somewhere in the carbs.. Any suggestions on where to start troble shooting this ?

thanks
    EG

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: dribbling 912ul

I would take the carbs off and clean them thoroughly with carb cleaner , the fuel is most likely overflowing because the float needle valve that regulates fuel into the float bowl is dirty, gummed up . it opens and closes as the floats rise and lower. or possibly the floats are stuck , gummed up. Cleaning would be a start.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Also, when you're checking out the carbs, make sure the floats are in good shape. See this post: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...=1#usercptools

The problem is when I turn on the electic fuel pump
    I'm wondering if you are overpowering the bing carbs with too strong of an electric fuel pump. Not sure why you are using it when normal operations would not require a boost pump assuming your 912 is on a Kitfox and the 912 mechanical fuel pump is operating. If you have too high a pressure from the electric pump the carbs will flood. I have a back up electric pump on my model 4 , 912S equipped Kitfox. It is a 2-4 psi facet pump. So far(eight years) it has been two pounds of useless weight but you never know. Check to see what psi your electric fuel pump is rated at.
    5380.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I had a fuel filter start plugging up inflight.. My fuel flow dropped from 7.2 GPH on take off to around 5 GPH when I was climbing out. I hit the elctric back up and the flow came right back to 7.2. Where I was at the time it would not have been good had I not been able to hit that back up pump to keep the flow going strong. That being said, it was the only time I have needed it while inflight, but it sure was nice to have it when I needed it.