Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tiny Tach

Default Tiny Tach

hey guys just put in a tiny tach and not sure what setting to put it on ??? 360 1 spark rev or 180 2 spark rev ( 532 Rotax engine ) Thanks Chris

Default Re: Tiny Tach

Chris, I'm 95% sure those old Bosh points Rotax engines fire each spark plug once every revolution (360 degrees). Its been a long time since I had one apart. At any rate, try it and if it reads way off, change it to the other setting.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I installed a Generic Tiny Tach and the difference between the Westech Tach and the Tiny Tach (Verified accurate with an Optical Tach) was large.
    The TT Reads 6000 RPM the Westech 6800. My palne has flown over 640 Hours this way. Only getting about 80% of the power it could have had.
    Check the accuracy of your tach. I just believed the Westech I did not check.
    Dave

I just installed mine yesterday on a 582. 180 2 spark per rev was the correct setting. I assume the 532 should be the same.

-- Paul S

Hey guys thanks for info it works great now. I old tach was off by 800 rpm it was a big deal on take off.

I seem to be having a brain cramp here... Has anyone wrapped both plug wires to the same cylinder to ensure a reading with only one mag, and would that require a different setting on the Tiny Tach than when wrapping a single plug wire? Tnx
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)