Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Razor Back Option

Default Re: Razor Back Option

I made mine from an old, straight, knot free, 1" pine board and used the router to round off one side.
    Worked out great. Attached the fore and aft ends, then pulled it down until it looked right.
    Made some brackets from aluminum, pine, aero-poxy and some pop rivets.
    Turned out strong and light. Covering proved to be no problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

This is what I just did to my 5 project. Bonded with epoxy and flox. The tube is bonded at the forward edge of the antenna mount plate and at that a small rib about midway. Sorry about the rotation. It is OK in m file. Do not know how to fix this.

B287BC98-3DDE-4C82-AEAB-8A0960801C03.jpeg

I didn't see it answered here and could find nothing on a search. From someone who made the razorback from aluminum, what size and temper did you use? From the photos I found looks like some used 5/8 inch and others look like 1/2. Thanks for any help.

Rick

I used 5/8 0.035 5052 0. Very soft and very easy to bend. Filled it with sand and bent it over the top of my 6:50 X 6 tire. I got an length of heavy copper house wire and bent and fitted first to see what I wanted. Used that as a guide for bending the 5/8 tubing.

Allan

Rick
    I used 6061-T6 aluminum 5/8" OD x 0.509 ID x 0.058 wall.
    I think I bought 6 feet
    Than I bought 1 foot of 6061-T6 aluminum 1/2" OD x .0.043 ID x 0.035 wall.
    With this I could slip the 1/2" tube inside the the 5/8" tube and epoxy it to the exact length.
    I took about 4inches of the 1/2" tube, cut it in half length wise and welded it to about a 6" pc of 1/2" tube to make a (T) shape that slipped inside the 5/8" tube. The 4" half moon pc was epoxied to the fuselage frame.
    I had a co-worker do the aluminum weld. I do not have a welder for that.
    To bend the tube I made a template from 3/4" thick plywood and screwed it to a wood work bench. Worked great.
    I made the wood supports from aircraft grade 1/8" thick plywood.
    See pictures.File_000.jpgFile_001.jpgFile_003.jpg

Thank you gentlemen. I bought a section of 5/8 inch .035 wall 6061-T6 but after looking online wasn't sure if it would bend without cracking. Obviously it can be done. I also like your T attachment. Then thought about 5052-0 but closest dealer is backordered and shipping costs for tube are insane. So I'll give the 6061 a try. My fuselage has the second antenna plate and even though I don't plan on using now I'd like to keep it useable so the razorback itself is less than 3 feet. Again, I thank you.

Rick

Rick
    l forget what length I bought.
    But I did end at the back of the antenna mount.
    A layer picture attached.

Joe
    Kitfox5
    Attached Images Attached Images

Was able to bend my razorback successfully today. Thanks again Joe and Allan. Now if it will just warm up I can get it installed and finish covering.

Rick