Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Transponder + Encoder

Default Transponder + Encoder

So I have found a KT76A transponder and an AK 350 encoder for much cheaper than any transponder/encoder unit I have seen. My plan would be to send the the two devices along with whatever comm decided to Stein Air to get all wired up.
    As long as the actual equipment is solid are there any problems with my plan? Does anyone recommend a specific transponder encoder products? All advice is welcome.
    Tyler

Default Re: Transponder + Encoder

If you plan to go with one of the new EFIS boxes be advised that most of them have encoders in them already, I know AFS does. Of course you'll need a transponder regardless.

Oh, and does your transponder accept both gray code and serial inputs? Many of the newer EFIS boxes only output serial data.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

Default Re: Transponder + Encoder

If you are buying used be careful, being on a budget and not knowing much about transponders I bought kt76a thought I got a really good deal, could not get it to work I sent it in to a avionics shop to get checked out and they said that it could not be fixed. Told me you can't go wrong with a garmin that didn't have some tube. I found a garmin 320a for good price on ebay, which is a good thing, because I lost money on the kt76a. Also if getting used make sure they have a yellow tag I didn't on my first transponder. live and learn I guess.