Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gear is flying

Default New Gear is flying

My new gear I designed and built is installed and flying. Still need to install the Nanco 21x12-8 tires. Also really need to add streamlined fairings. I am working on some made from .030 Lexan. I have lost ~10MPH without the fairings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New Gear is flying

I would think you would see a noticeable speed loss if no fairings are installed. My old gear was the Kitfox original with the fabric but it has made a large difference. Part of this may also have to do with the tires being 4" farther from the fuselage and the addition moment that must be compensated for. I would like to see pics of your new gear if you get a chance.
    Dave

Your new gear looks nice. I have King Fox 21x12-8 mounted and I like them very much. Decided that I should have tubes in them so that I can have lower preassure. The tires look nice on Kitfoxes even mounted on a traditional gear. Or what do you think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.8 KB, 471 views)
    Last edited by toekh; 07-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.

toekh,
    What pressure do you run your tires at? Do the beads leak if you try to run them too low? I was planning on running 6-8 PSI without tubes. Is this going to be a problem?
    Dave

10-15 psi seems to be where they are happiest. If you run them too low the plane gets too hard to move. Haven't ever seen them leak at very low pressures though.
    Ty
    Kitfox IV-1200

I run mine as low as 4 psi with no problems leaking but the side wall wrinkles. I find 8 to 12 psi works nice. I would be careful running tubes at low pressure if the tire ever rotates on the rim you could shear your valve stem.
    Oh yeah that gear looks nice and tall good job.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Thanks for the pressure suggestions. I am modifying some old old Kitfox wheels to accept the Matco discs for internal caliper brakes. Had to machine the weld on tabs today. Going to see if a friend will weld them on tomorrow. Then I will have small and large tires mounted on wheels. I plan to build some wheel thru skis that I will use the small tires for.
    Dave

At the moment I have 10 psi and that works great. My plan is to test a little lower pressure and find the balance between smooth landings on gnarly surface and still get in the air fast enough for my 850 feet runway to feel safe.
    I have the feeling that if I choose pressure less than 10 psi I better avoid runways of concrete, asphalt or other hard surfaces. But that’s not a big problem for me…

Quote Originally Posted by FoxDB View Post
    My new gear I designed and built is installed and flying. Still need to install the Nanco 21x12-8 tires. Also really need to add streamlined fairings. I am working on some made from .030 Lexan. I have lost ~10MPH without the fairings.
    What do you mean with "I designed and built"?
    Can you just weld together a landing gear and put it on in the US?

Marc

what??? this is an experimental, we can do whatever we like.