Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swaging question

Default Swaging question

Spent some time learning a new skill. Twenty minutes and one messed up Nicopress sleeve, I think I got it. I just need verification from the gallery that I did it right. Not too tight or too loose on the loop? Anything else I missed? Thanks.

One side. Other side.

Default Re: Swaging question

Jorge,

To the eye your work looks fine, however, I learned about a go-no go card and how they take the guesswork out of doing it right. see part way down this web page: www.azshowersolutions.com/Fuselage11.html
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

It's actually not right. I guess I pulled the cable too tightly thru the sleeve and the squeezing action of the tool, stretches the sleeve out slightly. I tried to line up the washer that will eventually be used in installing the cable, and it butts up against the sleeve not allowing the holes to line up. One more try. I'll be ordering one of those gauges. Thanks
    Last edited by Jorge&Cindy; 12-03-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Also Jorge to keep the cut end from turning into a frazzled mess that will sting you every time you get near it, I first tape the area that I will cut with electrical tape then cut thru the taped area. Then I slip a piece of shrink fit tube over the cable before swaging and once the swage is complete, slide the tube over the swage and cable and heat shrink in place for a nice finished look. Bruce Lina N199CL

Hey Bruce,
    Did all that , came out pretty, but too tight. Thanks for the help. By the way, how did you cut the cable? I used my Dremel, but that gets the cable real hot.

To cut the cable I just used normal plyers but it was tough.

The best way I found to cut the cable was to use a sharp cold chisel and a scrap piece of aluminium for the backer. Do it on the concrete floor and it works great. One whack w/ a hammer usually does it. Don't forget the safety glasses (Sorry, it's the shop teacher comming out)
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

jorge, the washer on mine also butted against the swaged nicopress. i just filed a relief in the washer and installed it that way. alot less work than doing it over. good that you are getting the guage.

Looks good Jorge-I cut the cable one of two ways, If I am simply cutting a piece to length I use a big bolt cutter that I got at harbor freight.However there are times like you are finding out that you must be a bit more surgical about the process, such as cutting the tail of the cable after it wraps around a thimble or eye. In this case, I use a dremel tool . I first put a piece of scrap aluminum or thin steel in between the "good" cable and the one I will cut off to be absolutely sure that I do not nick the good cable with the dremel bit. Good luck Bruce N199CL

Double-swaging, interesting idea, and certainly an easy thing to do. Anyone else done this or think it's a good idea? Have there really been failures? I'll be doing my cables shortly and now would be the time for me to make a decision on this.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com