Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance of windscreen and paint?

Default Maintenance of windscreen and paint?

Two maintenance questions:

1. I have been seeing ads for a product to clear up the outer cover on car headlights. I wondered if it would work to clear up similar hazing of the plexi windows of aircraft. Has anyone tried it, and with what success? Other products that work?

2. What is the best product to use on the paint to protect it, add some shine, and reduce the wind resistance a little? Something short of a repaint.

Thanks.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Default Re: Maintenance of windscreen and paint?

I have LP Aeroplastics molded windshield, bubble doors and rear window, I use Pledge furniture polish. Works good at cleaning and leaves a light wax coating making future cleaning easier. If you have crazing, your only option is to replace the glass.

I use mild soap and water to clean the paint (poly tone). A sponge and a soft brush on a broom handle are my weapons of choice.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

One thought here. I had a gallon of Aero Gloss and gave a sample to the Lancair neighbor to try. He used it on one wing leading edge as a test and went flying. When he came back and debugged his wings, his comment was that he wished he had done it on the whole airplane and left one wing undone for the comparison. His comment was was a bit of water and a rag and the bugs wiped off the Aero Gloss wing and he had to scrub everywhere else.

Lowell

I am using Rejex on all my leading edges, wing,stab, spinner and prop. It is very slick stuff. I have a damp cloth I use it right after a flight and the bugs wipe off easily. If I let them dry on they still come off but a little more effort is needed. Easy to put on

I just used Meguiar's; Plastx on my Lexan. followed by Lemon Pledge with good results. This was mainly to remove minor residue and some light scratches left when I removed the 20 year old protective paper with paint over it.

-- Paul S

paul , what did you use to remove the paper from the lexan ? i have some just like that with the paper stuck on . for a better use , i used some of it for the mockup of the instrument panel since the paper wouldnt come off .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I'm afraid I just used dilligence. I did try a heat gun on some sections with only a minor improvement. On my tutledeck, one panel took me two hours including the use of a putty knife out of despiration. I guess it's just paying my dues for not getting this done years ago.

-- Paul S

paul , the windows in my doors and turtle back were already installed with the paper still on . naturally the paper wouldnt come off . i also worked for hours , even tried wd-40 . i did get the paper removed but the window looked like crap so i replaced them all . i was left with a full sheet of 17 year old lexan with paper stuck on it . luckily the protective film came off the flaperons with no problem .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Fortunately, mine came out OK after the polishing. At leat the windsheild wasn't installed. It was easier working with it flat.

On my Quad I use Rain-X on my lexan windshild it cover light scratches and + it is water repellant, so no need wiper you see througt rain it's great product.

http://www.youtube.com/RainXproducts.../2/1***8Vw7rk8

Eric