Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Maintenance of windscreen and paint?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Maintenance of windscreen and paint?

I'm afraid I just used dilligence. I did try a heat gun on some sections with only a minor improvement. On my tutledeck, one panel took me two hours including the use of a putty knife out of despiration. I guess it's just paying my dues for not getting this done years ago.

-- Paul S

paul , the windows in my doors and turtle back were already installed with the paper still on . naturally the paper wouldnt come off . i also worked for hours , even tried wd-40 . i did get the paper removed but the window looked like crap so i replaced them all . i was left with a full sheet of 17 year old lexan with paper stuck on it . luckily the protective film came off the flaperons with no problem .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Fortunately, mine came out OK after the polishing. At leat the windsheild wasn't installed. It was easier working with it flat.

On my Quad I use Rain-X on my lexan windshild it cover light scratches and + it is water repellant, so no need wiper you see througt rain it's great product.

http://www.youtube.com/RainXproducts.../2/1***8Vw7rk8

Eric

I made my own windshields from a 2 mm polycarbonate sheet. The sheet cost about $ 80. It took me about 3 hours to copy my old windshield to the new sheet and cut it out with a dremel tool. Polycarbonate has plastic cover and is simple to rip off from the sheet.
    I don’t say that this will work for you, but try Autosol metal polish on a little area of your old ugly windshield or door window. Rub it real hard with a soft cloth and then polish it with some common floating car wax. It sounds real crazy but I think you are going to be surprised by the result

After reading all the old posts on this subject, it seems that Pledge (lemon) furniture polish and a clean microfiber cloth is very popular for cleaning and waxing the Acrylic windshield, doors, turtledeck and fibergalss parts. Is it also good to use on the aerothane painted fabric, or is there something better for cleaning and waxing the fabric?

Jim

I'm tickling this thread again because I got no replies to my last question: Is pledge also good to use on the painted (aerothane) fabric parts of the airplane, or is there something better?

Jim