Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maintenance of windscreen and paint?

Default Re: Maintenance of windscreen and paint?

I made my own windshields from a 2 mm polycarbonate sheet. The sheet cost about $ 80. It took me about 3 hours to copy my old windshield to the new sheet and cut it out with a dremel tool. Polycarbonate has plastic cover and is simple to rip off from the sheet.
    I don’t say that this will work for you, but try Autosol metal polish on a little area of your old ugly windshield or door window. Rub it real hard with a soft cloth and then polish it with some common floating car wax. It sounds real crazy but I think you are going to be surprised by the result

After reading all the old posts on this subject, it seems that Pledge (lemon) furniture polish and a clean microfiber cloth is very popular for cleaning and waxing the Acrylic windshield, doors, turtledeck and fibergalss parts. Is it also good to use on the aerothane painted fabric, or is there something better for cleaning and waxing the fabric?

Jim

I'm tickling this thread again because I got no replies to my last question: Is pledge also good to use on the painted (aerothane) fabric parts of the airplane, or is there something better?

Jim

Jim, I was told to only use carnauba wax on my polytone paint. Works great.
    Not sure if the same is recommended for the aerothane. Someone should know.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I used Mequires carnuba paste wax on my SS with PolyTone. A little elbow grease, but the result is a slick finish.

Dick B

Hi Jott,

If a person reads through the Poly Fiber Manual, a person will find that they cover this issue with regard to polytone; but there is scant information on Aerothane.

Polytone is more like lacquer in that it is a non-polymerizing solvent/evaporation only product which makes it such a good product for easy repairs; but, it does not have the solvent resistance, for the same reasons, when compared to a polymerizing product like aerothane.

Aerothane, properly applied, is about the most solvent resistant product out there so there is little worry about how a cleaner/ polisher/wax with its compliment of solvents would affect Aerothane. I routinely use a rag with MEK to clean up difficult to remove grunt on the finish (just don't get MEK on the backside of the fabric!).

Here is the conclusion I have come to. The difference between Aerothane and Auto Body catalyzed urethanes with regard to cleaning, polishing and waxing is negligible to non-existant. In my opinion, a person is perfectly safe using whatever cleaner/polisher/wax they would use on their urethane painted car for an Aerothane painted aircraft. The real difference between auto body urethanes and aerothane is that aerothane lacks the fillers so it does not crack on fabric like auto urethane would...but that does not affect what kind of care products you would use on it.

Having said that.....the previous posts which warn against silicon based products should be listened to if a person may be applying any paint in the future.

If you use something on your car and like the results, the same product should work out as well on an aerothane painted surface. FYI - a lot of Street Rodders do ther final touch-up at car gatherings with Lemon Pledge. Just stay away from silicon products.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

I appreciate these replies. Sounds like maybe a good auto carnauba wax is the way to go on the Aerothane, although I am still open to other opinions.

Hopefully Lemon Pledge can go over the top of the carnauba wax. Earlier in this thread I find many guys use the Pledge on their leading edges and props before a flight. It makes the bugs, grass stain, and dirt come off really easy after the flight.

Jim