Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Long Distance on Open Trailer?

Default Long Distance on Open Trailer?

A big advantage for me, in the Kitfox IV, is that the wings fold for trailering and it fits in a garage. I can buy a lot more gas if I do not have to rent a hangar. But the short run to the airport from home is different than taking it 2-3-4,000 miles on an open trailer on the freeways. So, what advice do you have for doing it without damage to the plane? Here are some issues:

1. The tow vehicle has mud flaps, but I am still concerned about road grit and gavel, and what could be sucked in behind the tow vehicle and hit the plane on the trailer. I think some kind of front wall on the trailer may be a necessity. One idea is for the rear ramp to be full width and removable, so it could be mounted upright on the front of the trailer as a wind screen. That screen may also tend to suck stuff in behind it. Ideas and suggestions appreciated.

2. For several days on the road, with any kind of weather possible, I was thinking I should sort of "shrink wrap" the plane. That industrial strength Glad Wrap stuff they use to secure boxes on pallets was what I was thinking of. Again, ideas and suggestions.

3. Forward or reverse? The most convenient way for me to put the plane on the trailer would be to back it on so the main wheels are at the back of the trailer and the engine is hanging out past the back of the trailer. Pulling it backwards at 60 mph has me a little worried. Even with a wind-break front wall on the trailer. What would you suggest to secure the control surfaces from the reverse air flow?

4. Wing security? How would you secure the wings for a trip like that? Pad the gap with what? Extra support?

5. I am looking at options for the trailer. I could buy a light utility trailer and modify that. I could also buy a boat trailer and modify that. Adding a front wind wall on a boat trailer tongue may be a bit more involved since they typically just have a long straight box tongue with the hand wench attached (useful for loading the plane though).

6. Trailer decking: I have seen some aircraft trailers that have no decking at all. Just 3 -point support for the gear. Again, I am concerned about what may come up from the road on a long faster trip, so some kind of decking seems to be needed. Right? Pressure treated 2 X 6 is pretty common for that, but it will make the trailer heavy and is really not needed for a plane with an empty weight under 1000 pounds. It would make the trailer capable of heavier hauling of other stuff though - if the rest of the trailer and axle were also designed heavier. Another option is the open weave metal sheeting that is common in light utility trailers, but that could let fine grit through. Perhaps add a tarp secured to the open weave decking to keep the fine stuff out? Or something like pressure treated plywood for the decking. Just 1/2" would be enough if supported about 2' OC.

7. Axles: For the plane, I know a fairly light single axle is enough. Tandem axles with brakes would make sense if it were to be also used as a car hauler, but that adds a lot of weight and limit the tow vehicle to something bigger than my Honda. A boat trailer with small tires would not be good at freeway speeds for hours, because of how fast the tires would be turning and what that would do the the bearings and the tires. Two axles give you some support if you blow a tire, but a wide trailer with a low deck is not likely to flip due to a blown tire anyway.

All ideas appreciated. And if one is, "get an enclosed trailer"; yes, I thought of that. But then I have more trouble with where to store the trailer. So, other than an enclosed one ....
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Default Re: Long Distance on Open Trailer?

I did a search for trailer, and read several threads about trailering which answered some of my questions and gave me a lot of good ideas. But some of my questions were not addressed in the threads I read so I will leave this up for comment by anyone with ideas to share. Thanks for your help.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Dwight

If you look on my pics section you may get some ideas for trailer construction and more importantly how to connect the rear of the fuselage to the trailer.
    I shrunk wrapped the entire a/c for trailering from CA to Canada in late October. Worked very well through wind and rain in OR.

Don

Wow. I am impressed with how small that trailer is. Totally contrary to all my concerns. No issues with road junk damage? I see it was not shrink wrapped in the pictures. Can you travel at freeway speeds? And the wheel track of the trailer is narrower than the plane. Stability n cornering is OK?
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

Even though my plane was in pieces when I got it, I still used the giant rolls of saran wrap that U-haul sells. I think they were about $25 a piece and I think there is 500 or 1000 feet on a roll. I have also seen some rolls of it at Lowes and Home Depot too. It worked great but you do need to tape the ends down with some packing tape because it will blow loose. I just picked up a boat trailer off of Craigslist for $150. I am going to take all but one spring out to give it light suspension. I am covering the deck with 1/2" treated plywood to keep road debris from hitting the bottom of the plane.

Dwight

If you search this forum under "trailers" you will get answers to most of your questions.
    I built mine from a small holiday trailer caller a "Boler". Manufactured in the 70`s/80`s. The main feature is wheel tracking matches your tow vehicle and rubber block tortion bar suspension.(remember your load is only 800 lbs!).
    Highway speeds are OK, just be sure you use proper wing supports and empty tanks.
    Don

Thanks all. I read several prior threads and got some good ideas. I think I know what I am going to do. Glad to hear from someone who used the giant Saran Wrap, and it worked. Pictures of other ideas I liked are now on my computer.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat