Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: firewall material

Default Re: firewall material

Zinc melts around 800F that is dull red colour............. and getting hotter. Sure you might not get the submlimation but you all that take pride will save what -- 75$ and get a galv metal that will look like crap in a few years.

To each their own...... and it is just as workable unless you use dollar store Brake, drills, etc.

I hve made a new one from 0.4 mm High gloss SS and that looks great
    My original one was made of aluminum and the plane has been certified in the US with that material?
    My plane is a 1991 KF 3
    Maybe skystar delivered that kit with an aluminum Firewall.

Just another point on this issue. I have stainless steel that I will be fabricating my fire wall with. Yes, the S/S will hold back flames better than Alum, and Galv. does put out some nauseous gas, however, if there is a fire, the fiberglass, rubber, plastics, fabric, adhesives etc. will produce some noxious fumes as well. Just something to think about.

My $.02. When you are trying to get on the ground as fast as possible because you have a fire nothing else will matter and you will wish you had the best material to give you that extra time. Fire in the air is probably the only thing in flying that the idea of actually scares me and it only takes minutes. Go to the AOPA website and listen to some of the crash stories that involve mid air fire.

You can make a firewall from lots of different materials. It’s just a matter of how much time your material will hold back the flames. Wood and fiberglass seem like poor choices, but that’s just a hunch. Gypsum board might be a bit heavy. Blankets on the engine side of the firewall make great wicks to hold leaking oil and fuel.

Aluminum melts at 1200F and steel at about 2400F. Gasoline being fanned with air burns about 1400. Hmmm. This might require some deep thought.

Inre: SS vs. galv. Several aircraft manufacturers used galv. Heat and fumes take their toll on the galv.. A mechanic showed me a Baron that has a galv firewall covered with rust. Firewall foreward will have to be pulled to get access and remove the corrosion. Yeowch! That makes SS an easy choice.

SS looks pretty.

John

To add another thought...

Following info is from a 3/95 Experimenter Magazine article titled Firewalls By Tony Bingelis
    Acceptable Firewall Materials

The following materials may be used in firewalls WITHOUT BEING TESTED;

- Stainless steel sheet - .015 inch thick (.284 lb./cu. in.)
    - Mild steel sheet (coated with aluminum or otherwise corrosion protected) - .018 inch thick
    - Terne plate - .018 inch thick
    - Steel or copper base alloy fittings
    - Other materials may be used if they can pass the fireproof test.
    I know ACS sells Galvanized Sheet, 26 Ga., .022", 2.718lb per 12"x48" and 304 Stainless Sheet, ?? Ga., .018", 2.173lb per 12"x48"

Since you typically have to use a heavier gauge of galv. vs stainless to get equal fire resistance, I considered using a thinner gauge galv. with fire stop paint (see: http://www.aircraftextras.com/Contego.htm) on the engine side and a fire/sound blanket on the cabin side.

This might provide equal fire protection without the noxious burning galv. gas concerns, at the equivalent or lesser weight with the benefit of a reduced price overall. Personally, I'm not building a show plane and galv. is a whole easier to work with the tools in my garage. Perhaps more importantly, I can source the galv. sheet locally but not the stainless.

Any comments on that approach?
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

I had a galvanized steel firewall on my Zenith 601 HDS. After 15 years of service, it had no corrosion to speak of, but was not a thing of beauty (though it got the job done). It was easy to drill through and in general, easy to work with (stainless, not so easy) I patched a largish hole with a sheet during an engine change, using some some stainless rivets ( which didn’t take long). But that carbon steel patch look pretty rusted two years later, though the firewall itself still looked the same (looked good enough).

Stainless Steel.
    Doing a little extra work back when I obviously had WAY to much time on my hands.

JP
    Attached Images Attached Images

If at all possible, don’t have anything under the cowling that will burn, at least not burn well. Silicon hoses and such are a good choice, and use fire jackets on the fuel lines. Also, if you do have an in flight fire under the cowling TURN OFF THE FUEL BUT KEEP THE ENGINE RUNING. The fire will probably go out by itself once the engine uses up the remaining fuel in the lines,filter and gassolator.
    Hope this helps
    Roger

John, Sure looks pretty and I really like the way you did the edge.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive