Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear spar bolt access through rear windshield.

Default Rear spar bolt access through rear windshield.

Hi Don I'am building a #7ss It is a good aircraft practice and one guestion why is the one piece windshield bent up at the back corners

Default Re: Filter or Gascolator? KF5

Hi Pingert

Not sure what you mean by "bent up at the back corners". I did not build mine. I was lucky enough to find one that had been built by a much better tradesman than I probably would be!!.
    Every success with your build. I am sure you will enjoy the result!

Don

I believe the corners are bent up to get at the bolt head for the rear wing attach bolts.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Most I've seen were bent up on the rear corners for a little clearance of the wing when folding so as not to tear into the fabric on the top of the wing.

Holes were drilled in the rear corners of the windshield to facilitate removal of the rear spar attach bolts without removing the windshield. Just did that on my new windshield install a couple weeks ago.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Would you be kind enough to send me a pic of your installation thanks Rick.

I knew I might have a few pictures of this installation that I could share and see if that adds any insight.

I found 4 pictures showing 3 different aircraft and each at a little different angle and point of assembly. You may have to strain a little to see all the detail, but they are there.

Hope this helps you to visualize the turned up ends and the hole drilled in the ends to facilitate removal of the rear wing attach bolts without having to remove the windshield.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for the pictures they are worth a thousand words, anyway when I took out the windshield from the box it was cracked bad day well I phoned Debra and no problem and ordered another one right away I still have to pay shipping But that was sure good of them!

debra and john are great people to deal with , have really helped me out with a few problems over the last couple of years.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

guess im not real clear on this bent up corner thing . on my model IV the corner is removed just enough to allow the bolt head to pass . must be a longer windshield or something like that .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Had a chance to stop by the airport this morning and get some photos of the rear corners of my windshield. The holes are for facilitating the removal of the rear spar bolts without having to remove or loosen the rear of the windshield.
    I don't need my corners bent up to clear my wing fabric over the gas tanks. I have enough clearance. Some need the corners heated and bent up a little so as not to gouge the fabric over the tanks when the wings fold.
    Hope this helps.

P.S. I will move these posts to their own thread from the original thread called Filter or Gascolator? KF5 for easier searching in the future.
    P1040614.jpg

P1040615.jpg

P1040616.jpg

P1040618.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear