Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kit logs?>

Default Kit logs?>

My Supersport kit will be staged in my garage in two weeks. Just wondering and taking a poll on kitbuilding-log software. What does the Kitfox community use and why each likes or dislikes about their choice.

Shop and wing rottiseries complete...just need parts!

Default Re: Kit logs?>

Hi Eddie,

Welcome aboard - now the real thrill starts - I still remember when I got my big 'ol box-o-parts - it was great!

OK - on the kitlog - my software packet was a steno pad which grew to two steno pads - a chronological record of my victories and clutzies along the way to getting the plane done - I am not old fashioned - the house is full of electronic wizmo-gizmos and even some on the panel of my kitfox - The Steno pads fit the bill because I could easily draw stuff as I needed to and take them everywhere I needed to go.

Second component - the build manual - the Kitfox build manual is one of the better ones out there and probably adequate to keep the FAA happy if used alone for a build log - places for notes and signatures - The build manual is organized by assembly rather than cronologically unless a person starts on page one and never deviates from the order of the pages start to finish - It would never have been chronological for me (which is where the steno pads fit in) because i jumped around a lot - when it was cold - I didn't paint - when I had a few $ I got some panel stuff - when I was stuck on one thing, I went to another assembly - for that matter some things can wear on a guy after a while and you just need a change of pace and go work on a different assembly.

With the combo of steno pads and the build manual - plenty easy to cross reference everything plus you can take paper with you into the dark cold recesses of your hangar in January - sorry - forgot you probably have no cold recesses in your hangar in january in FL.

Just me but the lo-tech way worked fine.

BTW - Your wife is supposed to follow you around to keep YOU out of trouble - oh - that's right - got the kit to keep you out of trouble now!

Have fun with your new adventure. you are part of a great group.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear

when i acquired my kit it was partially completed . the previous owners were using legal pads for the log and i continued with that . even after my plane was flying , i continue to keep up the log adding work accomplished . a good reference without having to dig out the logs . also take lots of pictures as you build . not only for the builders log but also for your use later on . they really come in handy .
    good luck and have fun
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

+1 to what cap01 said.
    Dave's correct on the quality of the build manual.
    I had only the build manual with notes and dates and initials throughout and lots of photos. My DAR spent 20 minutes looking through the manual and asking me questions on specific areas of the build and he loved the photo album showing me working on all aspects of the build. Always good to take photos of yourself actually doing the work.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Does the builder's manual still come in one huge binder? I broke mine down into two thinner binders. Much easier to flip around in.

My log is one three ring binder with a line or two written at the end of each day I worked on the plane. No digital camera's when I started so prints in plastic 3 ring note book sheets in the log. I still use it a lot when working on the plane to jog my memory how I did something or to see a picture of it. Much easier for me than looking on the computer. I have been called an old dinosaur when it comed to geewizz high tech.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I've read and re-read the manual. It is put together quite well. The question of course is can I convert reading ability into tradecraft. We'll see.

Thanks so far for the suggestions. I'll probably use some form of computer...as I failed to mention I am left handed and the product of a Catholic education. (Translation is my penmanship SU#%$)!

Great advice on pictures; especially showing me in the picture. I've heard some DAR's look for such data. On that note...I have a friend who had some beer in a few pictures. He wasn't the one drinking in the garage...but my oh my, a little trouble.

8 more days to Idaho!

Eddie B.

eddie , you could even locate a dar in your area and get a feel of what he or other dars might be interested in . doesnt cost anything to talk with them and will remove a lot of anxiety and mystery of the process that you will be involved in . the purpose of the builders log is to provide proof to the dar that you built the airplane and that some roving band of gypsies didnt put it together for you . also to convince him that the work is to a standard as to produce an airworthy airplane .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Along with the build manual we used expercraft.com liked it very well. printed a nice book with pictures. The Dar loved it.
    Dj Series 6

We created a page on Facebook in addition to the Manual. The plan is to print it out prior to the DAR's visit and to have additional pictures available if needed.

Facebook page.... that's a phenominal idea! Good work!
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop