Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Stripped Drain Plug

Default Stripped Drain Plug

I've discovered that both my wing drain plugs are stripped. I'm not the builder. I don't know what this thing looks like on the inside so I don't know what my options are. Is there a brass insert of some kind? Can I drill and tap to the next size up?

This is a Kitfox 4 1200 with fiberglass tanks.

Default Re: Stripped Drain Plug

no bushings , just drilled and tapped fiberglass . i had to drill and tap a tank , i think it was for the vent into the right tank . not too big of a deal . did put a little , very little , air pressure into the tank to blow any drilling chips or dust back out the hole . besure to use the super dooper kitfox thread seal when you install the bushing and drain and not to over tighten them .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

If you don't want to buy fittings to go the next size up, you can repair the threads with Hysol. Drain the tanks. Clean the area with denatured alcohol. Build up the threads with Hysol and let it cure for 24 hours before you attempt to re-tap the hole. Works like a charm.

I've done this many times on fiberglass motorcycle tanks. Never had a leak.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Thanks guys. The hysol trick sounds like just the ticket. I'm surprised though that the drain plugs are threaded right into the fiberglass. I guess if it weren't the repair would be more of a pain..

Aircraft spruce sells an aluminum fitting tha can be glasses into place, and it is tapped for the pipe thread of the drains. An867 flanges they are for welding into aluminum tanks but work well if sanded an glassed in place
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas