Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seat pan cracks

Default seat pan cracks

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
    I have had trouble with the fiberglass seat pan cracking. First I had a crack in the fiberglass next to the tube at the right front. Then had one at the left front. Was doing steep turns (only 1.6g) and felt seat sag. Found crack at the top left next to the tube. The points of cracking seem to be at a stress point. The lower ones were fixed and reinforced with multiple layers of glass. I will do the same for the new one.
    It was not a problem fortunately due to reinforcing straps under the pan. Anyone else having this problem?
    Oh, and I am 165lbs so can't see me as the part needing modification!

Default Re: seat pan cracks

Wade,

Thanks for the PIREP on seat cracks. There are a few isolated cases where the seat actually sagged enough to rub the flight controls, but none with serious consequences.

As you mentioned, owners should look for stress risers and inspect for cracks. My seat pan had several lumps of resin under the thigh hook. It prevented the hook from fully seating on the fuselage. An air powered die grinder with a carbide acorn burr did a great job of smoothing lumps and making a uniform groove. I also filled in a few valleys with Hysol.

Because the seat pan is held only at the back rail and thigh rail it is essentially a sling. Should a hook fail, either top or bottom, the seat could slip down. With that in mind it might be a simple precaution to add a safety strap under each seat to prevent seat sag. A simple 2 inch strap or webbing could do the job with minimum weight.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

I also found a few cracks due to not properly relieving the seat to match the welds on the frame tubing. The cracks did not propogate far and were easely rectified. I used a "Butt Block" (patten pending) in case the seat ever broke.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hi I found a few cracks in my seat assy also over the years, repaired them with fiberglass overlays for now its holding. I think that the original fiberglass work was less than 100% at a couple of the cracks there had been ply seperations like the glass had not been completely saturated (my opinion). Mine is a Model III.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

My seat pan also cracked and was rubbing on the aileron push-pull rod. Not serious in-flight emergency but the plane became very heavy in the roll control.

I used a variation of the "butt-block" as to avoid paying the heavy royalties to Dorsal.

The reinforcing "rib" on the underside of the seat pan de-laminated from the main pan. After doing a fiberglass overlay of the damaged area, I used a piece of 1-1/4" treated decking material under each side, tie-wrapped to the tubes below the seat.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

cracked also had to repair I am 168.
    Dj Series 6

I suspect over the years the vendor that supplied the seat pans either changed at times or suffered sever quality control issues. My first Model IV - 1993 - seat pan was pretty much flawless and served for 900 hours over nine years - attached to the tubing with Nylon wire ties. My current Model IV - 1992 - seat pan will need a complete overhaul before final assembly as it is just about as flexible in critical areas as the tip of a fly rod.

Regarding the slings. This first became an issue with the Series V when the console and upswept floor boards were introduced. The IV and earlier models had a definite curl to what John calls the Thigh hook. To accommodate the upturned floor board that curl was cut back probably a half inch or so. The first incident I heard of with this problem was a guy in a V that had his seat slip off the "thigh hook" and land on the control rods on short final in gusty conditions. Slings and such became standard add ons on the later Kitfoxes because of his report and some builders put them on the earlier models as well. I don't think I will worry about a sling after my remake of the current seat as there is too much history with the older models. I know of some flying them that don't even secure the pan to the bulkhead tubing - simply relying on the snap in effect and tension tending to tighten the grip.

Lowell

I certainly am not alone with finding a crack in my seat........
    I have straps but think I will also hysol a butt block down there when I have the seat out for a little overdone redundancy.

I love the butt block for pure simplicity and its high level save-your-butt quotient.

There's no fabric on my fuselage now so I'll be able to install a "zero clearance" version with ease. Cheap insurance.

My model SS came with seat storage which adds a degree of stiffness, but this is a great CYA, err... SYA (support your arse) addition.

Keep those safety tips coming, guys and gals.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

(Don't tell Dorsal, John, his royalty requirements are extraordinary! )
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos