Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Header tank low fuel sender?

Default Header tank low fuel sender?

Don't really need the whole kit, just the threaded sender. Anyone know where I can get just the sender only? Thx!

Default Re: Header tank low fuel sender?

I have seen two different types of senders used: one is an optic sender and I think it was available from the old Skystar org. (but I don't know where in the open market to get it) and I think it required the you paint the header tank black so it would work.

The other is a float type sender. I used the float type sender and that is available from Aircraft Spruce. The part number is 6905-400 (Fuel Warning Sensor).

There could others as well so maybe someone else can provide additional input.

That 6905-400 float is pretty slick, looks like 1/2" threads is that right?
    Is that what's already tapped into the tank on the Model 5 headers? or did you
    have to add your own flange?

I used the float type straight into the tank threads, use a good thread sealer.
    (can be a PITA to take out again but it is possible)
    Last edited by Dorsal; 05-26-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

same part # as War Eagle from Aircraft Spruce? Also are you able to do the 'wing-shake' test to verify it's still working? seems like the header tank is so full that would never work even with an optical, but I've read guys do it...?

Yes, same part number. Have not tried the wing shake test, have tested at intervals by clamping the mains and running the engine.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I was looking at those sensors on the A/C Spruce site, It's good to know they will work ! I will have to try one.

I am not sure that the header tank on the Series 7 (my plane) is any different than the header tank on a Series 5. I would guess they are the same but I would want to verify that.

This fuel sender had pipe threads and it installs in the bushing that goes into the top threaded hole that is located on the pilot side of the header tank.

I have attached a picture of my tank with the sender unit installed. I am guessing it is probably 1/2 inch threads but I would have to take my seats out to look closely at it and I am not planning to do that until my next annual. Aircraft Spruce can probably tell you as they have been pretty helpful with technical details whenever I called them.

I installed a little red light in the panel that will illuminate (meaning low fuel in the header tank) and I also installed a push to test light that is part of my preflight check.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

In my series 5 there is an aluminum header tank, it has a hole on the upper pilot side that is filled with a blue plug currently. this is an old picture before I remounted the header tank, and rerouted fuel lines, relocated the fuel filters and added fuel shut off' s for the wing tanks. you can see the old not working low fuel sensor that is mounted on the vent line, I'm not sure if on the vent line is where it is supposed to be, but it didn't work so it was removed anyhow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dorsal/War Eagle: the plastic molded tank is ethanol safe isn't it? they don't slosh those tanks with sealer do they?

I'm going to get the plastic float - price is right, and the optical plastic ones even the mfg emailed me and said they don't recommend the plastic for gas only the metal optical sensor. ($195). Too rich for me if that float will slide in the 1/2" thread hole

~Wild