Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Building tips and hints

Default Re: Building tips and hints

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkertech View Post
    Ill have a bit if time to study and note all these tips, about 1 1/2 years, order to delivery.
    Hawkertech, I'm with you! My quoted delivery date is 4/2021. What are you doing in the mean time?

Kitfox Dave

SS7 on order

Getting my shop set up and trying not to think about it, as that makes it seem to take for ever. Bought a few minor parts, I.E. stick grips and PTT buttons. ALso some fabric related tools. I am an A&P so have aircraft tools, just not the specialized tools to do fabric.

Gentlemen:

Everyone has their favorite list and supplier(s). While waiting for my kit, I have been buying tools and other “stuff”. Fortunately, in Los Angeles, I am within walking distance of a Home Despot (misspelling intended) and a Lowe’s. However, I made the decision to buy as many American- made tools as possible. Not wanting to drain my wallet completely, I have stayed away from the tool trucks (except for a few minor transgressions).

In my travels through the web, I found a store in Kansas City that seems to buy up odd lots of very high quality tools. I have purchased from them several times, and have always received my tools quickly with the parts being as advertised. The company is called Harry J Epstein and their website is Harryepstein.com. I have ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION with this store, just a satisfied customer. They may not have everything you want, at any given time. for example, they have socket “sets” made by SK, Bonney, and others. The sets may be missing a size, but they tell you in the description, exactly what the set contains. I just bought a set of number 1-60 drill bits from them, made by Norseman/Viking in Minnesota. I believe these to be top quality bits.

BTW - Bonney was a top flight manufacturer that was bought out in the late 90’s. They were in Pennsylvania and made a variety of hand tools.

Anyway, while you are waiting, you may consider depleting your checking account by looking at their website. Just to reiterate, I have no arrangement, affiliation, or relationship with them.

Best of luck

Fred

Fred - a great find, thanks. I see that they carry the Knipex pliers - when my ship comes in (but I'll probably be at the airport) I'm going to buy a pair.

In the middle of doing my annual condition inspection now, and I thought I'd share what I use to apply the TriFlow and LPS 1 lubricants for the various rod-ends, hinges, etc. I've found out that some people are not aware that you can buy both of these lubricants in non-aerosol bottles (at Amazon, etc.). I've found that using the spray cans is really messy for me, so I use a couple of syringes that I got from a plastic supply house here. They're used for applying glue for PVC & poly-carbonates by those guys. They work great for applying just the right amount of lube right where you need it, a drop at a time if you want. I fill up a couple of smaller bottles for convenience, then load the syringes with a small quantity when I want to use them. I'm sure others have thought of this too, but I wanted to share it with the group.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Nice idea John. I had not thought of that and could have used it. First I crawled down into the fuse to spray the rod ends and got it all over the fabric as well. Thanks. I can ditch the rag I used to pack around and under these bearings.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Great tip John. Its hard to control the amount with the spray cans. I am tired of getting overspray on my windows when lubing the inboard flaperon hinges.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

There are a number of on-line sources for blunt tip (dispensing) needles. Remember that the higher the gauge of the needle, the SMALLER it becomes.

Fred
    Building 7SS
    Plan 914

Default Re: New Builder Amazon Shopping List

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I live in a small mountain town without ready access to big-box hardware store, so I order a lot from Amazon. Here is a selection of things from my order history that I was either glad to have purchased in advance, or wish I had purchased in advance. I can add stuff if anyone has more recommendations, but this isn't a bad starting point for a new builder getting a shop ready.

Kitfox Shopping List
    Copied!! Thank you!!

I found that most nutplates are too tight, especially when installing phillips head screws into them; its too easy to strip the head. The nutplates get their grip from being somewhat out of round, which is easy to see when looking at the threaded boss. I used a pair of pliers or vice-grips to squeeze that boss into a little more round shape, just a little at a time, then try the screw and repeat until the resistance is just what you want. Easy-peasy. Easiest to do BEFORE you install the nutplate.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS