Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Building tips and hints

Default Re: Building tips and hints

Came across these nifty nylon cable brackets at the hardware store. 50 cents for the 1/2" and 25 cents for the 1/4". I was trying to route the brake lines so that they would not be rubbing up against control rods and rudder cables. These made it much easier.
    nylon clamps.jpgNylon clamps brakeline2.jpgNylon Clamps brakeline1.jpg

Good idea. I think you can find those in the electrical section of Home Depot.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Fabric shrinking is NOT two dimensional

When planning the location for anchoring cable and electrical wire runs in the fuselage I (incorrectly) thought I could lay a straight edge across two opposite longerons to check if I had enough clearance between the plane I thought the fabric would shrink too and any tie off. Hint - give yourself a pad - the fabric shrinks between (probably) four points and Murphy's law says that you won't be placing your straight edge between the two lowest.

Here's the bump in the fabric caused by a culprit I was lucky enough to be able to get to and fix - the straight edge shows (hard to see) the bump and clearance that "should" be there because the fabric is taught.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Fabric shrinking is NOT two dimensional

You don't want ANY of those hot spots. The fabric on the fuselage drums like mad in level flight and pushes in a lot depending on the angle of attack. (Sides for slips, and bottom for high-alpha.) You'll have wear strips for the tubing, but these hot spots wear like crazy and can even crack the paint, if using urethane. I had to adhere aluminum disks wherever I had tie wraps. Even the thin metal Adels would wear. I think the best way would be to run everything down the side, near the stand-offs, so the fabric can't get to them. Or maybe use string, in place of tie wraps. (What the hell's that stuff called? It's black, flat, and waxed and is what we used before tie wraps. I have a whole roll that I seldom use.)
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

Yes, I have a tie wrap that is just touching the fabric after shrinking. It's painted now and didn't see it beforehand but fortunately I can get to this area. One of those bothersome things that'll have to be a last minute fix and maybe those discs might be the bees knees ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Re: Fabric shrinking is NOT two dimensional

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Buchanan View Post
    Or maybe use string, in place of tie wraps. (What the hell's that stuff called? It's black, flat, and waxed and is what we used before tie wraps.
    Hi Guys and Gals - I'm new here

After lurking a long while and just browsing so much great info, I finally have something useful to reciprocate:
    It's called Lacing Tape: there's quite a range available these days - black, white, coloured - and different materials too: nylon, polyester, nomex. Here's a couple of links:
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...acingTapes.php
    http://www.is-cabletec.com/downloads...acing_Tape.pdf

Hamish Mead
    Ledbury, UK

Default measuring hysol

Finally Building!!
    I am using 10cc syringes with the ends cut off for measuring hysol. have to be a bit patient to suck up no air, but it's working well. I just scape off any excess into the can and wipe with alcohol after use
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just installed my completed rudder for the first time and had quite the time getting the bolts in the holes but also getting the nuts and washers in place. I found a few things that helped enormously! First get a nice strong magnet for the parts you do drop, you can carefully guide them to an opening when they fall. Second, tie a loop knot to the top of the bolts and tape to the outside skin, that way when you drop it you don't have to go hunting with the magnet, and when you get it in place you can pull the knot with hemostats to release. And third, I added a tiny drip of super glue to hold the washer and nut together, then another tiny bit of super glue to glue the top edge of the nut to my finger. This allowed me to get it in place and carefully start the first thread. I used hemostats as well but this seemed more reliable.

And if you are still covering your rudder, make the access holes bigger than mine! Im playing the tighten 1/10 of a turn at a time game!

Good tips Joe.

Also, I made my access holes a little larger this time. Made covers out of light aluminum that are painted the same color as the rudder . Curved them to fit the profile of the rudder leading edge and made sure they cleared the back of the tail post with full deflection of the rudder. So much easier to assemble the rudder and much more wrenching room.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I've used the super glue trick also. Another good option is a toilets wax seal. I always keep some in my toolbox. Works good in sockets also for holding nuts and bolts.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind