Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Building tips and hints

Default Re: Building tips and hints

I've done the same as Steve (DF4). The access holes are enlarged and I'm covering with either light gauge aluminium or fibreglass covers. But I like the idea of using supaglue to hold stuff in place.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Vinyl decals have been used to cover those areas also. John McB.’s personal Kitfox has clear vinyl covers to retain preflight inspection ability.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Good tips Joe.

Also, I made my access holes a little larger this time. Made covers out of light aluminum that are painted the same color as the rudder . Curved them to fit the profile of the rudder leading edge and made sure they cleared the back of the tail post with full deflection of the rudder. So much easier to assemble the rudder and much more wrenching room.

Oh that's a nice idea! I may open mine up with that type of an option!

Ill have a bit if time to study and note all these tips, about 1 1/2 years, order to delivery.

To be honest, I haven't read through all of the posts in this thread so this might have been up before - if it has, please ask the admin to delete it.

I worried about how to manage installing the washers and nuts in the very small space at the rear of the windshield/canopy. I ended up with a system that worked really well - place a magnet on the head of the screw and the washer will stay put just fine. (So will the nut BTW.) Then with long nose pliers and a screw driver the rest is a piece of cake. This picture is of the process, not the area in question: but, if the truth were to be known, I used it in a lot of places today - made life a lot easier.

Hardware mounting with magnet small.jpg

Nice idea for a few other "buried" fastener locations on my build. However, for your bolt location, I installed nut-plates thereby eliminating the need to install washers and nuts.
    BobRS, KF N104Y, Rotax 914
    Albuquerque, NM
    Flying 2-years

Another idea in these areas, are Clickbond fasteners. I stumbled on them years ago and used them in areas where I needed a bunch of nutplates and didn't want to use a traditional riveted nutplate (such as the window and windshield installation.) Check them out they have solutions for many attachment issues. Bruce N199CL

Those are very cool. thanks for the post.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Darrel is a clever guy and full of good ideas, keep them coming.

Default Re: New Builder Amazon Shopping List

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I live in a small mountain town without ready access to big-box hardware store, so I order a lot from Amazon. Here is a selection of things from my order history that I was either glad to have purchased in advance, or wish I had purchased in advance. I can add stuff if anyone has more recommendations, but this isn't a bad starting point for a new builder getting a shop ready.

Kitfox Shopping List

I will be a new builder in the spring of 2021 when I take delivery on my SS7 Kit. Your list looks to be useful to me.

Thanks.

KitfoxDave