Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any news how Brandon is doing?

Default Any news how Brandon is doing?

Response stopped[COLOR=var(--cib-color-foreground-neutral-primary)]A Kitfox plane recently crashed into the Snake River, near the 35000 block of Snake River Road south of Asotin, Washington. The incident occurred on Saturday, and both occupants were fortunate to survive. Here are the details:

• Pilot: Brandon Peterson, a 51-year-old from Nampa.
    • Passenger: Kristen Blackburn, a 47-year-old from Lewiston.

The single-engine plane reportedly clipped a power line before crashing into the river. Fortunately, both occupants managed to exit the plane on their own. Nearby boaters witnessed the crash and promptly rescued them. Emergency responders indicated that the two suffered serious, but non-life-threatening injuries. Without the timely assistance of the boaters, their survival might have been in jeopardy. Currently, both Peterson and Blackburn are listed in fair condition at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Lewiston[COLOR=var(--cib-color-foreground-accent-primary)]1[/COLOR].
    The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is investigating the incident to determine the cause of the crash. It’s a reminder of the importance of safety precautions in aviation, especially during emergencies. 🛩️✨
    [/COLOR]

Learn more

koze.com
    yahoo.com

Show learn more suggestions
    • Let’s chat
    • What is a Kitfox plane?
    • How many accidents happen in aviation every year?
    • What are some safety precautions for flying small planes?

See more
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: Any news how Brandon is doing?

I heard Brandon has been released from the hospital; airplane has not been found.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

First I've heard of it. Best wishes to both of them for a speedy recovery. It could have been much worse
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

So thankful everyone is OK! Sad news.

So this is something that frustrates me... I just looked at Foreflight and the sectional, those power lines are not depicted. But looking on maps.google.com and Google Earth you can see them if you zoom in far enough.

We've had a couple of accidents here in Alaska similar to this, and the Alaska Airmens association is fighting to make sure power lines and cables are depicted. Several examples have been found of crossings that were previously on the sectional are no longer shown even though they are still there.

Stay safe everyone.
    Last edited by MikeFairbanks; 03-21-2024 at 01:42 PM.
    Mike Davis
    Fairbanks, AK
    Kitfox Series 7 SS (received kit on 18 April 2023) N967MD reserved
    Rotax 916iS received, still waiting on MTV-6-R propeller
    Build log - https://n967md.dcsol.com
    Murphy Moose #195 (sold)
    1968 C150H still flying regularly
    Quicksilver MX built and registered as experimental (destroyed in wind storm)

Sorry to hear about this crash, glad they survived. Having flown helicopters down in the wire environment for a lot of my career, EMS flights into night scenes, Animal surveys, Ag work, etc., I can appreciate the frustration of finding ( and thankfully not hitting) unmarked wires. It's the nature of the beast, flying low is fun and often necessary for the job, but the risk factor goes way up.
    One thing I did to mitigate risk is I took an old sectional chart and met with our local power utility Chief Pilot who had lots of experience flying near streams, creeks and rivers at treetop altitudes near Phoenix, where I was based. We sat down for a couple of hours and I marked every hazard he knew of in his area of expertise.

That hazard map saved my bacon numerous times and although I didn't let my guard down, it was very helpful to keep one on their toes knowing a set of wires was just around the next bend. Might be something that those of us low flyers might want to consider doing for their area and then sharing with their fellow aviators.
    Retired EMS Helo pilot, interested in Kitfox

First I'm hearing of this! Prayers to Brandon and his family as well as the passenger in the incident.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

How unlucky to hit power lines, but how very lucky for the both of them to survive. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

A very sad situation. And how easy such a tragedy can happen.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Sad news. Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Brandon and his sister are home and doing well.
    He did clip a power line and ended up in the River. Nearby boaters were able to help quickly. Apparently it was a power line that was actually hit a few years back by a firefighting helicopter and was still not marked.
    I’m sure Brandon will share more when he is ready.
    Thank you! ALL that have sent well wishes.

John McBean