Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Series 7 Questions

Default Series 7 Questions

I'm in the research phase of picking a kit to build (1st build). For those of you that store your kitfox at home and transport it to the airport, how big of a hassle is it? I have a shop that it will already fit in, and I'm within 15 minutes of a great GA airport, but I'm wondering if I'm dillusional i thinking that it won't be a big deal transporting the airplane back and forth, folding up the wings, storing it, etc.

My other question concerns the tricycle gear. I have a few hundred hours, but no taildragger time, and I'm considering building it as a tricycle gear and converting it to a taildragger at a later date after I get some time in type (trying to keep my insurance at a reasonable cost). What are your experiences taking a Series 7 tricycle gear into the ID and MT backcountry strips? I know that some are out of the question, but how about the more popular ones like Moose Cr, Fish Lake, Johnson Cr, etc? Thanks

Default Re: Series 7 Questions

The premier design feature of the Kitfox from its very conception was simple wing folding for easy transport. The model 7 Super Sport proudly carries on that tradition. No worries if you want/need to keep it at home and trailer it to its local launch site or for that matter across the entire country. Hundreds are doing it daily. Few airplanes actually thrive in that enviornment like the Kitfox does. The time from arrival at your airport to being ready for flight will be measured in a very few minutes and with no perspiration or loss of blood.

With the 7 SS convertibility you do get two aircraft for the price of one so your plan to start as a tri-gear and then convert will work great.

I've been into many dirt, grass and unimproved airstrips with my tri-gear Kitfox model 4, just not the ones you listed. I've been into Priest Lake and Smiley Creek with my nose gear along with several other nose gear Kitfox's with no concerns. Nose gear Kitfox's have been to Alaska and back with no problems. I've seen videos of Johnson Creek and that should be no problem for you in the tri-gear configuration. When you do convert later to tail wheel, after getting some good Kitfox instruction (http://www.stick-rudder.com), there is virtually no airstrip that is out of your reach.
    Best of luck and again welcome aboard.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Smile Re: Series 7 Questions

fsdesign

I have a few pics of my Vixen on the trailer in the "user CP' area of this forum. The 1/2 hour setup and take down is about right. Fortunately I am able to share a hanger with an RV friend so I don`t have to trailer often now.
    My trailer was built from an old "Bowler" travel trailer and has rubber torsion bar suspension so it rides very well. Towed it from California to BC with no issues. Note the saddle arrangement for the fuselage which takes all the stress of the tail assembly. Works great for either conventional or tri-gear.
    Cheers
    Don

Default Re: Series 7 Questions

Thanks for the replies.