Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NR Headsets

Default Re: NR Headsets

papa , sounds like you may have an airplane problem . i was all excited when i purchased my a210 that it had a built in intercom . the more i looked into it the more i found that i wouldnt be happy with it so i opted for a ps engineering intercom . ps wont warrantee their unit unless you use a harness that they make up . they are concerned about correct grounds and insulating the jacks . ive never had any trouble with the radio or the intercom . if you have the batteries the anr should work even if it isnt plugged into the airplane , something in the airplane hookup must be causing problems with the anr when its hooked up to the plane
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I appreciate the feedback I am getting here. Lightspeed seems to be getting the nod for good value for the money. What are your opinions on the Lightspeed Sierra model vs. the newer Zulu model ($650 vs. $900). It appears maybe the Sierra is only available as battery powered?

Jim

This is my second LightSpeed headset and I agree, they are a great company and have a great product. In fact the new headset is one I got when I traded the old one in. I read the manual and they mentioned something about a dip switch that can be switched on or off so I will try that and if that doesn't work, I will contact LightSpeed. Either way, I'll let everyone know the results.

Thumbs up Re: NR Headsets

Papa,
    We use Bose X and Lightspeed Zulu's in our King Airs with no issues. At times, the Lightspeed (Branch Factory in OR, USA) will have an ANR issue, but with the Waranty (or just shipping cost) they'll fix it quick and get it back to you just as quickly. Bose X has served us well also. Both are Batt. Pwrd and haven't had any issues, except when folks forget to turn the ANR off. I suppose they were just testing the "auto-off" function (Batt dead = off) LOL.

Hope you find what works great for you.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

I thought I knew the difference, but now I am not so sure. What exactly are the pros and cons of battery power vs. panel power?

Jim

jim , the advantage of the battery power is the headsets can be moved to different airplanes they dont even have to be plugged into an airplane for the anr work . the down side of that is if you dont replace the batteries regularly the anr will stop working while your flying and scare the crap out of you . then you have to fumble around finding and replacing batteries while your trying to fly . or the worst case is that your wife will mix old batteries with the new batteries and when your headset anr doesnt work you send it back to lightspeed for repair for no reason . if you always use the headsets in the same plane , the panel power is the way to go , you never have to worry about batteries .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

When looking at headsets there are many choices. I waffled back and forth on whether to spend a lot of money or try to save a few bucks with a bargain brand until a friend pointed out the economics.

He said, "The best headset you can buy is under $1000. The cheapest pair of hearing aids is over $3000."

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

i did the anr mod to one of my dcs about 2 years ago . sure worth the money for the upgrade kit . i also installed the panel power supply . i never take the headset out of the plane so i never think about it . the power supply is wired in to the radio master so the only time i hear the noise is at engine start and just before shutdown when i turn the radios on and off .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

My advice would be to see if you can try the different brands in your plane. I was going to get the BOSE before I went to Airventure and while there I decided I would try all the different types. For me the Lightspeed was the better sounding headset. I actually got the 20-3G since it sounded as good/better than the BOSE and was less than half the price. I have since also purchased a Zulu. Everyone's ears are different so not all headsets will sound the same for each individual.
    WW

What is a 20-3G? I don't see it anywhere on the Lightspeed website.

Jim