Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cockpit sound reduction

Default Cockpit sound reduction

Curious to know if other Kitfox owners have taken any steps to install any sound deadening materials in their aircraft.

If anyone has done this - what steps have you taken and how effective have those actions been.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

Default Re: Cockpit sound reduction

dave , i skipped the insulation and went right to the anr mod for my david clark
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

My old Cessna came with fiberglass batting insulation. (I'm starting to itch just thinking about it.) It was such an annoyance that, when I replaced the headliner, I tore it out. Thinking about what to replace it with, I concluded that ANR headsets were the most practical solution. I agree with CAP01. (We have Lightspeed.)

once upon a time a long , long time ago , i had a 170b that had spent some time in a barn before i acquired it . seems that several generations of mice had taken up residence in the headliner . the hot oklahoma sun really brought out the smell so i replaced the headliner and all the insulation . it was probably my imagination but on a hot day i could still smell it . therefore , i kinda like the idea of things not having anywhere to hide
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Dave, I used a fireproof and sounddeadening material on the inside of the firewall. Not finished building yet, so don't know the overall effect, but if you thump the firewall it is pretty quiet.

Dick B

FYI ....

For those of you who have not yet had a fuel leak inside the aircraft of a aircraft, don't put anything on the floor that can absorb and hold fuel (including insulation). Beter yet, install a small screen on the bottom fabric to let fuel out, if nessisary. The kitfox has a great deal of fuel passing though the cabin, beter safe then .... well you know.

Roger