Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex generators, slow the plane down?

Default Vortex generators, slow the plane down?

Howdy All;

I was thinking about shortining my model 4 wings a bit, and installing vortex generators to bring the stall speed back down. I thought shorter wings would let the plane go faster in cruise. However, won't the vortex generators just add more drag again and even things out?

Any hard facts on this?

Thanks
    Roger

Default Re: Vortex generators, slow the plane down?

The two won't make up for each other. The shorter wing only goes 2-3 mph faster but raises the stall considerably. The VGs won't make up for not having the longer wing. The short wing will role a lot faster and give you a better ride in turbulence, and you will still probably be able to go everywhere you go now. I've never heard of VGs slowing a plane down on the top end. Everyone one has different opinions on what installing VGs did for their plane.
    Ty
    Kitfox IV-1200

I have VG's on my plane but can't say they do much. Look cool though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Catz,

The vortex generators in your photo look like they are mounted too far aft.

It is likely the air has already separated from the airfoil by the time it gets to the generators. Did anyone do flight testing of these VG in other positions before selling them to you. Or did they just "wing it" in the mounting instructions? There are several suppliers making generators for experimental airplanes who have never tested them on a Kitfox and market them as good "for any airplane".

I have a Cardinal RG and there are some STCs for VGs on them. All of them are mounted much further forward, and yes, they do slow the airplane down a bit in cruise. The owners who install VGs are looking for slower approach speeds and shorter landing distance for the airfields they fly in and out of. They are willing to give up some on the top end.

I suspect the same is true for the Kitfox.

We're still looking for that free lunch.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 05-02-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catz631 View Post
    I have VG's on my plane but can't say they do much. Look cool though.

WAY too far aft and the spacing is effed up too..

Way to far back. I seem to remember 8% of wing cord. I love mine no decrease in top end. My stall speed wasn't drastically reduced maybe a knot or two. Totally different plane at slow speed.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

I would agree that your's are way to far aft. I put VG's on my KF-5 and found significant improvement. 4-5mph on light loading and upto 9mph at full gross in lower stall speeds and significant improvement on handling.

Here a a couple of photo's on Mine. Also I noticed no change in Cruise Speed, However my Max Speed did loose approx 3mph, Not an issue and the benefit was worth all the effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BigJohn
    Kitfox 5 Outback
    Rotax 912ULS With 1622cc Big Torque Zipper Conversion

Youtube BigJohn655
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigJohn655

SPOT LINK:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...OgrFSDFu8qvG6Q

At first glance, Catz's VGs do look like they are quite a ways back, but if you look at the leading edge which shows through the fabric, and use that as a measure, I would say the VGs on both planes shown are at about the same place on the wing. In the second picture because of the angle and the dark blue strip, you kind of don't see most of the wing. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Last edited by avidflyer; 05-02-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Actually the VG's are right where they should be . If you will look at the photo closer you will see the rest of the wing. The photo is an illusion due to the wing stripeing. I almost mentioned that but decided to see if anyone would see it.
    The VG's are roughly about 6 inches back from the leading edge.I am not at the hanger so cannot give you the exact distance. Before I mounted them I followed the dirrections with the kit and the info here at this site (as well as others)
    I had VG's on my prior Piper Pacer and they worked very well but on my Kitfox well....not so much but,I will keep them.The effect,if any,is more subtle I think than on my Pacer(death cruiser)
    The wing is a low speed wing anyway and I knew,from prior reports, that they wouldn't do much .
    I am constently working on my aircraft and making small improvements as I go along. Some of the improvements were major such as the bush gear and elevator trim system. The VG's eeehhhh.... make for good conversation as you see on this site. Everyone has an opinion on them.
    Dick

Just went out to the plane and measured mine they start at 3.75" from the leading edge, using a framing square held against the bottom of the rib tight to the leading edge and then using a tape measure to measure horizontally to the front of the vg. Further aft seamed to be less effective and further foward only seamed to slow the plane down with no dramatic change in handling. I certainly didn't mean to offend you it's just your coment about not much change that peaked my interest as my change seemed dramatic. With the vgs I can power off stall with the stick full back and the plane will stall and recover and stall and recover without ever letting the stick foward. My vgs are the metal pacific Northwest Aero.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip