Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bushweels don't like asphalt?

Wink Bushweels don't like asphalt?

Is it truth that Bushweels don't like asphalt?

will I intall a paire of those on my plane?

Have a good weekend to you Kitfoxer!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBpP_...rec_grec_index

Default Re: Bushweels don't like asphalt?

Do you think he was able to land on the top of the montaine, because there were no asphalt?

Good point warthog!

I thinkit cost about $10 per landing when landing bw on pavement.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

One of the main reasons for not landing on pavement with the big tires is cause they really like to grab and send you off into the pickers, or terminate the flight with a really cool ground loop. If your running the tires at real low air pressure for hard core off field work, they SUCK on pavement. Not so much a factor of wearing them out quick as it is destroying your plane cause they put you on the nose,a into the ditch, or got the wing tips.

So if I follow you, we should not land a bushplane with a strong cross wind. Do a 26'' tire could be domage on there side or (don't know the right word ''derimed'')? How a bush tire could last if I land and take of of an airport?

There are many different tires that people call "bushwheels" I flew a PA12 with 29" gar aeros that had 28 PSI in them. They were big tires, but dang sure not bush wheels. If your running a true "bushwheel" with 2 or 3 PSI in them and try putting them on pavement with a strong cross wind, be ready for one heck of a ride! What tire are you wanting for your plane? I am gonna guess with 26" that your talking about the ABW experimental or light sport tire. I would not be too intersted in running them on pavement in any kind of a cross wind to speak of. Find a gravel or grass strip to fly off of. That is alot of money to invest in tires just to watch them scrub off on pavement.

I would like to have real bush weel on my future plane but they don't come realy cheap, 2000$ a paire, I read thread that mention that I could use 8'' weel & ATV tires with coampons cut off wath do you think about it?

First off, are you looking to really get out and beat the crud out of your plane in the bush (playing in the tundra and big rocks) or just land a few gravel bars here and there and hit some grass strips. If your really going after the hard core bush flying, there is NO substitute for the 26" Alaska Bush Wheels. They will save alot of wear and tear on your plane by soaking up the bumps and rocks.

If your just looking to hit some beaches and gravel strips, then the king fox or nanco tires are fine on the 8" ATV wheels that kitfox supplied with the plane.

I had some old 24" tires that back in the day were considered "bushwheels" for a super cub on my Avid, but they were heavy, and even with only 3 PSI were hard as a rock and didnt do much to soak up the bumps. I also bent 3 sets of the 3/4" axles that are stock on our planes. The tires were just too darn heavy even though they looked cool.

I have lots of time on a KF II with the nanco tires landing on beaches and some work on the tundra (not the hard core tundra hopping just small rolling tundra) and they work great. Infact, I just changed my plane over to the KF set up with the ATV wheels and NANCO tires, however, I only got one take off on them before I lost the crank and did a lil down wind emergency landing last week.

So, I guess that the mission you have in mind should dictate the tires you buy unless you have a pocket full of cash and just want to have the "cool" factor of the 26" bush wheels.

I will go huting and fishing with my plane and I will keep it simple for a beginner so am assume that ATV 21X12X8 sould do to start before to intall a paire of flaot.