Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plastic wing tanks

Default plastic wing tanks

I want to upgrade the wing tanks in my kitfox lll from the original fiberglass tanks which are not ethanol proof, to the plastic molded tanks from wingtanks.com. Has any owner builders out there used any of these tank, if so how was the installation process, ie tank mounting and plumbing of fuel lines? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: plastic wing tanks

I don't know if it these, but i have heard the plastic ones are thin walled and the fittings may pull out as they don't have much to cling to.
    Something to ask about I guess.

Hope this helps

Roger

I've seen these tanks and held them in my hands. The fittings will not "pull out" if they are installed properly. Definitely a good product and truly the only "ethanol proof" option available.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

its difficult to tell from there website photos but do they cover the tops of the tanks with plywood and how is it secured ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I've installed the wingtank.com tanks. I sat on the fence for a while as to which tank to get. I didn't like the fitting style of the poly tank but kitfox with the "ethanol resistant " didn't sound like the fix. I ultimately chose the wingtanks.com tank. It took 8 weeks to get them. In the directions it says you can just cut the top out of the existing tank and lay your new tank in. When I did that the tanks sat above the rib. So I removed the bottom of my old tanks. I bought two ribs from kitfox and installed the ribs in the center of the bay. Next I installed plywood in between the rib bays. The tanks were then installed and secured with a tub and shower surround caulk (supplied with tanks) and spray foam. The rubber grommet fittings that come with the kit are lawnmower grade rubber inserts. In my opinion, they don't belong in a closed up wing. But I put them in anyway. I figured if I had to get to them I could cut out the top and put an access cover over the top like a super cub or pacer. Then I pressure tested the tanks and covered the two bay hole all the way to top coat. Hung the wings and went flying. The first 20 hrs went well except for super slow fueling times due to the small lines interconnecting the tanks. Then, one day when I was on a cross country getting fuel, it started coming out the back of the wing. here I am 300 miles from home with a leaking wing tank. So I drained what was left in the port tank and put it into the Starboard side, removed my strobe and nav light fuses and continued home. When I got home I cut the fabric on the top of the wing and found the rubber grommet on top at the vent was torn. I also cut the other side open and found a small leak in one of the lower grommet. In order to repair these I had to take the tanks out because there was not enough room between the tanks to get the grommets out and new ones in. Its at this point, that I threw in the towel, called kitfox, and ordered some new tanks. I now, after much more time and money, have what I think is a much more airwothy setup.

I did look into plastic welding the tanks but crosslinked poly cannot be welded. These fittings and tanks are often used on ultralights and panel tanks where access is not a problem. They probably work great in that setup, were they can be replaced easily when the dry rot and crack. I hope this helps.

P.S. The tanks from kitfox are really nice, and if anybody wants some slightly used poly tanks PM me.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Nothing like the voice of experience, thanks Nick.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

thanks nick , i had considered the poly tanks . i wasnt too impressed with the pictures on their website , looked like they hired a butcher to install the tanks . then when they wouldnt answer my email with questions , that kind of sealed it for me . i replaced my old tanks with the kitfox ethanol resistant tanks . too bad , it sounded like the silver bullet for ethanol . sorry for your expensive experience
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks guys for all the input on the plastic tank subject. I sent the company a email with a few questions so we will wait to see if there is any response. I am leaning towards spending the extra money on the new tanks from kitfox after reading Nick's response.

i suppose it does come out to be somewhat more expensive with the kitfox tanks by the time you include the cost of recovering and paint .
    the first tank i replaced , i only repainted the new fabric . the wings were painted in 1992 or 93 and the new paint color didnt match . the second wing , i painted the whole thing so no color problem . if you decide to replace the tanks , pm me and ill share some of the things i learned from my experience also there are some pics in one of my albums . good luck
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

just buy the tanks from kitfox, wash them out with auto gas w/alki. and go fly. periodically check the inside for sticky and forget it. go fly. that's what I did.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop