Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceland Fox, new member.

Default Iceland Fox, new member.

My Kitfox flying today 11. feb 2010.

This is a 1995 built Kitfox III with 912A. TTAE is 430 hrs.

Default Re: Iceland Fox

Nice pictures Walter, looks like fun...thanks for sharing.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I think I need one of those mirrors.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Yeahh the mirror is pretty good idea. Also when taxiing on ground!

I recently bought the aircraft and this flight was only my second day flying the Kitfox. I now have 22 landings in it and 3.5 hrs all accident free

I make my final approach to landing at 50 mph. Sometimes if there are other airplanes in the pattern I would like to know if they getting too close behind me.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

But if you do a short approach with lets say a base to final over the numbers. Well, you can see the final slot and turn and touch down and be off the runway real quick. I think this is the safest landing, do it all the time.

I also hold 60 before the turn, after the turn I'm closer to 50 than touch down right after the turn. Very fun.

When I do a wheel landing, I go into the turn at 70, after the turn it's 60 and down on the wheels and than lower the tail.

I use no flaps. gives me great aileron control.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 02-12-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks for the tips guy´s

My instructor advised to use 60mph and do wheel landing until I´m more used to the taildragger. I have never flown ´em before.

I looking forward to get more experience and have more control on the landings.

I would never advise against your instructor, he knows you and your skills.

But-- I have only ever wheel landed my plane a handful of times. There is no need. 3-pointing gets you down at a slow speed and under control faster. I've found (me personally) that I can deal with the wind much better in a 3 point landing than a wheel landing.

Turn final at 60 mph, over the fence at 50-55, touchdown in 3-point at ~35. The tail is on the ground and steering, under control.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I think back to when I first started flying, yes I was learning in the cessna and the kitfox, and I couldn't do a proper wheel landing for anything. I had to settle for 3 points for a long time. The kitfox is a fun airplane, but it takes a lot of skill to master. You want to learn wheel landings, do it after you get down the 3 point is my advice. You really need to be on top of your game when lowering the tail, at least when I do it, I bring it down real slooow. Makes for a nice look. half way down it always does a sort of tail wag I guess you can call it, can really put things bad quick if your not ready for it. That and as you bring the stick back you have a chance of moving the stick to one side and than you have a wing that will come up on ya. My advice, stick to the 3 point for now.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanx guy´s for the advice. I will try to move to 3 points next time I fly, which looks like it´ll be tomorrow Nice weather forecast and I´m off work.

The thing is I have been starting the flare a tad to high I guess. Flaring about at 2-3 feet and she stalls and bounces back. I´m getting really good at recovering from bounce

I guess I´ll learn it sometime. looking forward to practicing more tomorrow.