Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearing a flooded 912

Default Clearing a flooded 912

What is the best procedure to clear and start a flooded 912.
    Kurt
    4-1050
    80hp
    Warpdrive
    Osceola, Wi.

Default Re: Clearing a flooded 912

How I do it:

1. Enrichener off
    2. Throttle Wide Open
    3. Crank the starter to a count of Five (5) - Cover throttle to pull back in case engine starts
    4. Resume start procedure (dependent on temperature for enrichener and throttle position)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Are you saying that the five seconds of open throttle should clear the flooded engine and I should use the enricher If normally need for the current conditions?
    Kurt
    4-1050
    80hp
    Warpdrive
    Osceola, Wi.

It has worked for me, just like that on several occasions...

I don't know if maybe my flooded engine was not as "deeply" flooded as your situation?

If my motor doesn't start after a five count with the enrichener on, I do this "clearing" procedure, then try again.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If you have a primer, do you ever use it? That's were I got it flooded, I used One shot if prime and then used yhe enricher.
    Kurt
    4-1050
    80hp
    Warpdrive
    Osceola, Wi.

I do not have a primer on my plane.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Unhappy Re: Clearing a flooded 912

Hi All

This is a timely topic and I would like to hear more opinions but first I would like to relate my experience from last Friday. I had just taxied in from doing a few circuits in my Vixen 912UL and shut down normally.( fully close throttle and quickly shut off mags individually). Water temps just over 150F after taxi time. About 10 minutes later I decided to restart for a few more circuits.
    I cranked the starter for 7 or 8 seconds and it did not fire up (usually starts almost immediately) so while cranking I fully opened the throttle for a few more seconds ( intending to fully close it as it fired up) but suddenly black smoke started coming from the rear cowling and obviously I was on FIRE!!! I grabbed my Halon extinguisher from the consul and opened the left side of the top cowl enough to get a shot into the engine compartment.Obviously I should have shot it straight through the front air intakes (excited, I guess) Fire out immediately,but it was still very hot under the cowl. I removed the top cowl and the entire engine compartment looked like h-ll.
    Anyway after 3 days cleaning up the smoke from the engine,firewall area and replacing the shielded mag wires, burned K&N air filter, manifold pressure gauge line, heater hoses, etc. I restarted the engine today. Everything seems fine. I was going to replace the carb sockets and air filters this spring anyway.
    The fire seems to have started at the left hand air filter (it was badly burned) and flashed across to the electronic moduals. This heated the top cowling enough to split it up for about 12 inches from the left hand side.
    I still have some fiberglass work to do and remove the blistered paint on the cowl for repainting.

All in all I was very lucky that more damage was not done. Thankfully I had a Halon extinguisher handy (mounted on the consul) and did not burn the entire a/c down.

Question: Has anyone had a similar experience and I am sure the next time I SUSPECT a flooded engine I will remove the cowl and allow it to cool down before restarting!!
    Any other suggestions about what, if anything I did wrong?

Now I know why a fire extinguisher is Mandatory in Aircraft.

Don

when I had troubles with my carbs on the old engine I found that once it got flooded your done. The only thing to do is remove the plugs and clean them. My problem at the time was the floats. they started sinking. bad shut down will cause the carbs to come off and the sockets to rip up. too much choke will do it. I never cranked on my motor for very long in fear of a fire situation. seems I was correct for doing that. all I can say is after a few tries of the starter, stop and see why. than just remove the spark plugs and clean them.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Hello Steve

How could you tell that the floats were leaking? Yesterday when I installed the new carb boots I noticed the old boots were a bit wet with fuel. Is this normal, or do I have a problem with fuel bypassing. I always shut off the fuel after shutdown. Suggestions anyone?
    Thanks
    Don

simple, you simply remove the bowl and there should be enough fuel inside and you will see the float down on the bottom. generally one will be good the other bad. if you have two on one side bad go to the other side and take a look at those and compare. beware they are about 50bucks apiece