Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder pedal mount question

Question Rudder pedal mount question

I've built the left side rudder pedal assembly for my SS as well as the mounts. Everything went together fine and the mounts are exactly per the manual. So here's the trouble: If I put the inboard mount right in the center of the plane it causes the outboard mount to be too far outboard. It is on the underlying fuselage plate, but it's too far off center to drill and install the hardware. One possible fix I'm considering is to take about 3/16 inch off the inboard end of the torque tube. Has anybody else run into this problem?

Default Question resolved

After sending some pics to John McBean and a little head scratching I found the source of my trouble. It turns out that the little bushings that slide over the rudder pedal torque tubes are the exact same part number as some flaperon bushings in the wing kit, but are not quite the same part. The ones for the pedals have a flange that is about half as thick as the other part. I mistakenly assumed they were the same and used the thicker ones on my rudder pedals. This increased the overall length of the pedal assembly just enough to prevent proper mounting. Rather than drill out the rivets and start over I simply cut off about 1/8" from the inboard end of the torque tube. All is mounted now and works fine. Hopefully this will prevent somebody else from making the same goof.

Default Re: Rudder pedal mount question

My kit came with two packages of four "Bearing Flaperon Hinge" -- one labeled for fuselage and one for wing. The bearings are identical, flange and all. The part number is 12045.201.

I also notice that my rudder torque tube, combined with the (other) bearings inserted in each end, will be too long for me to be able to center the brackets on the fuselage mount points. So, like you, I will probably have to cut some of the torque tube to make it fit, but it won't be related to the size of the bearings/bushings.

I'm still working on getting the inboard pedal tube, bearings, and torque tube to fit smoothly together. The manual has you sand the torque tube to get things to fit, but it seems you'd have to sand too much of it. Any advice in that department?

Thanks,
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp