Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: powder coat or not?

Default powder coat or not?

does anyone have any horror stories concerning powder coats? i talked to some guys that didn't recommend it because if there is any scratch in it, corossion will seep under and you won't see it. this could result in the need for a complete recovering in a short amount of time.
    ken

Default Re: powder coat or not?

I can't imagine not having the frame powder coated and I believe a significant majority of the Fox's out there are. I remember one case of corrosion under the powder coat that, as I recall, was due to part prep but I think that was a rare exception. That example was also evident well before covering went on.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

My 1200 project was powder coated when the kit was new. I don't think that I will strip all of it off, but it does hide corrosion very well I have found first hand. So some of it will have to go.

I don't know if I would have a new kit powder coated. Two part epoxy paint will protect just as well but will give signs when corrosion is present.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I bought a used model 2, with a non poweder coated frame. The lower tubes below the seat and further back were rusting next to the fabric. It appeared the fabric was rubbing off the paint, and lots of dirt had accumulated on the lower fabic (between the fabric and tubes), got wet or was holding moisture and rusting the exposed tubes. Not to bad though, but it would have continuted to get worse if I didn't addess it with fresh paint and a cleaning. Maybe regular paint is not tough enough, I really don't know for sure, but keeping the inside of your plane clean and dry will make a world of difference in the even the metal get exposed.

Roger

Ken,

I bought my kit without powdercoating - I think it is a lot easier with it; but, my reasons for not getting it was primarily economic and I do have sandblasting equipment so it was no big deal to sandblast, epoxy prime and aerothane the parts. A simple matter of sweat equity. If you do not have a way of sandblasting the parts - I would recommend staying with the powdercoating. The other thing sandblasting did was to satisfy my curiosity about the welds so I could inspect each weld before painting.

Everything said on this forum about preparation prior to either powdercoating or painting is true. It all has to do with the prep.

Sincerely,

Dave S

I wonder if it could be a good idea to apply a Trimbrite Bodyguard Paint Protection Film on the lower tubes of the fuse to prevent dirt to scrach and roobbing off power coating dose anyone have try some thing like this?

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/5208...onTime&dir=asc

Eric

Wouldn't that make a good prop leading edge tape?
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Hi Pete, well I could't tell you if this product could do the job for a propeller leading edge tape. For what I can tell of this stuff it stick well on a paint surface and it is flexibe, I have intall some on my pick-up is has been there for 10 years and the eage of the tape just begin to pill off but it protech well the surface under and that's why I think I should install some on the fuse tubing because went we bord our plane we alwase carry some dirt under the shoes. it is light weight this is a good stuff!