Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Building Wings

Default Building Wings

I'm starting to set up my jig for building the SS7 wings. The manual text seems to indicates building them rightside up, but the pictures show them upside down on the jig? What is the right way?

Jim

Default Re: Building Wings

Tom...

Outstanding Build report... great work.

Andrew
    NOKITFOXYET

Thank you! Good luck with your project.

Didn't get much response, so I'll assume most everyone agrees building them rightside up is the preferred way.

One more question: Its my first time using the Hysol adhesive and I am a little confused as to how much cotton flox to add for doing the wing rib fillets. Can someone give me a few hints as to what consistency I should shoot for; like toothpaste, putty, yogurt, etc? Should it not be runny at all?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I think you are correct - consensus is probably top up - although it doesn't matter to the wing which side is up as long as the relationship between the spars is correct.

The flox....that is art, not science.....A little more or less will not affect strength of the bond - way too much not a good thing - way too little and it will run sort of like honey - the trick is to get enough into the hysol so it is not runny and it pretty much stays in place when you apply it - if it sags - not enough flox - add some more. And make real sure it is uniformly mixed with the flox. Best to start out with mixing the two parts of the hysol - then add some flox a bit at a time till it holds its shape and squeeses out into a smooth bead. Try to avoid putting in too much - although you can always add more hysol if it ends up looking like tree bark and leaves voids you do not want to have happen.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear

Concerning whether to build the wings right side up or down (SS7), does not the 1/2" washout block under the outboard rear spar force the orientation of the wing during this portion of the build on the wing jig as described? The text in the manual suggestions building right side up but as mentioned the pictures indicate up side down. I'm assuming that in the up right orientation that the rear spar outboard is 1/2" taller than the front spar as measured from the same plane. Thanks

Yes, if you put the 1/2" block where the manual says to put it, you must build the wings right-side up. If building upside down, then that block must go under the FRONT spar. You are trying to build in 1/2" of washout, which means the trailing edge must be higher than the leading edge to reduce lift at the wing tips. I think most people build right-side up.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I guess I am getting old. I seemed to remember building the wings right side up but just checked my original manual. It also has the wing pictured upside down with the explanation to build upside down for easier access to the Strut attach brackets. Probably not a major issue once the hysol is cured as the wing can then be flipped with the washout block repositioned for working on the brackets and final positioning won't be done until the rigging step with the wings on the fuselage.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Yes I did the same: built the wings right side up then after all the ribs were in and the Hysol cured I flipped them over to work on the strut brackets. I'm sure it doesn't really matter how you do it as long as you understand what you are doing and how washout works.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS