Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: painting the flaperons

Default Re: painting the flaperons

Hey, I just noticed you're in Bryan. Since you're getting close, what are you doing for transition training?

As far as training goes, I belong to the EAA 59 in Waco. I am flying with my CFI in his Aeronca. He also has experience in a Kitfox and there is one other guy in the chapter that has a Kitfox so it looks like I have pretty good support for training. However, I am a firm believer in "more is better" especially when it comes to things that can fall out of the sky if something goes wrong. I think that you could fly with 10 different people and learn at least 10 different things. Houston is only an hour drive so maybe I could run down there one day. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks.

I got the flaperons painted and I thought I would note the results for anyone needing advice on paint. I did use the PPG Delfleet Essentials paint for my finish. It was color matched to the rest of the plane. I have done my fair share of painting in the past and I understand the concept of flowing the paint etc. but this paint was truely amazing. It was the easiest paint I have ever sprayed and gave the best results out of any paint job I have ever done. Basically just get the paint on the item and it does the rest for you. It did take a while to dry but I checked it this morning and and it looks like porcelin. Anyway, I hope this helps someone in the future looking for a good paint. Time will tell how it holds up. I just wish it could be used on the fabric!
    Attached Images Attached Images

jerry , looks really nice in the pics . not being much of a painter , what do they mean when the call the delfleet essential paint single stage ? also who handles it ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Impressive, makes me want to re-do mine.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

dorsal , thats exactly what i thought , mine are good but these are better .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

The paint is made by PPG. Here is the link:
    http://www.ppg.com/coatings/commerci...s/default.aspx

From what I was told and what I read, it is a Polyurethane Enamel but there is no harmful Isocynate like in the aerothane or Ranthane. You can use a regular charcoal respirator.

It was very easy to use. 6 parts paint, 1 part hardner, 1 part activator. I bought the little measuring cup with the easy to follow marks so I got the mixture just right. Cleaned up with some left over Polyfiber reducer.

I bought it at our local auto paint store "Tasco Paint". It is a very popular paint. UPS uses it along with many other fleet type companies.

$30 per qt. for the white
    $60 per qt. for the red.

If I remember right, it took 24 oz. to paint both flaperons two coats. I can't wait to paint my cowling now.

Sorry Chuck, I missed your single stage paint question in my last reply. Single stage paint is essentially what polytone is. You mix the paint with reducer, hardner or activator, etc.,spray it and your done. When it dries, that's your finish. A two stage paint is a base coat/clear coat. The base coat gives you the color and the clear coat gives you the gloss. On solid colors, single stage is the way to go. My flaperons are definately glossy. Makes the Ranthane on the fuselage look dull.

jerry , thanks for the info
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Couple more pics of items painted with the Delfeet Essentals. Have a couple of runs but I can color sand them out out and buff. I believe this is the only paint I am going to use from here on out.
    Attached Images Attached Images