Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rigging jury struts

Default Re: Rigging jury struts

I’ve been working on resolving an issue with the left jury strut installation and like John have a warped rear lift strut. However, the tube is warped forward (and a bit of a sag) towards the front lift strut tube about 3/16 to ¼” which, makes it impossible to correctly install an align the jury strut. I have tried to tweak the rear lift strut tube straight by supporting the ends and deflecting the tube more than 3” in the opposite direction with no detectable results in straightening the tube. It looks like when the tubes where welded together at the fuselage attach point that the angle was not correct (to small) resulting in the tube being pulled into place to weld the spacer at the wing attach point on the opposite end resulting in the warp. Trying to apply more force in the center of the tube does not seem like it will yield the desired straight tube at this point to me. Any ideas on how to proceed with this would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg

Default Re: Installing and Rigging jury struts

Does anyone have tips & tricks related to the placement and alignment of the Jury Struts. I have a series 5 kit from Skystar that was initially created in 1994. I have purchased the S7 jury strut attach brackets for the top of the struts that attach to the spar. I also have installed the landing gear so when I put the wings on the plane to install the butt ribs and determine where the door stops rising upward, I planned to install the jury struts at this time. According to my documentation the floor of the fuselage needs to be level, I assume both fore/aft and side/side. And the jury struts are to be perpendicular to the floor of the plane. The instructions about the plumb line are a little confusing to me. So, I'm asking if there are any tricks/techniques to installing the struts that you would be willing to share?

I had my fuselage leveled, front to back and side to side. I did this with a digital level. Wing was attached, lift strut was attached also. I had my wing supported just outside of the lift strut. I ran a string down the lift strut to make sure it was straight (you do not want sag in it). I think the measurement was somewhere around 53" outboard of the fuse for jury strut placement (this may be specific to my SS7). That gets you close though to begin the preliminary attachment. I then took the hardware/clamps and jury struts and loosely fitted them onto the lift struts (over tape to protect the powder coat of the lift strut). I then placed the prefab brackets on the top of the jury struts with the hardware, did not tighten though. They were curved to the radius of the spar. I used 3" hose clamps to clamp them to the spar, again loosely.

The entire setup to this point was tight enough that I could shift it up or down the the spar/lift strut if that makes sense.

The idea from there is to run a plumb line over the top of the spar and let it hang right next to the jury strut. If the fuse floor is level, this plumb line would be perfectly vertical. You can then optically make sure the jury strut is parallel to it. That is what is needed. The 53" measurement may vary slightly which is ok.

Once it is aligned, tighten everything up. The clamps should be in parallel with the jury strut, if that makes sense. The bracket coming off of the spar should be parallel with the jury strut, not at a weird angle. You might have to loosen/adjust/retighten a couple of times to achieve this.

Drill the spar for the bracket, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Did you drill the attachment holes in the top attach brackets before trying to fit the jury strut/brackets to the lift strut brackets? The ones I received do not have a hole drilled to which you would attach the jury strut and it appears to be something that you would determine where to drill it in the fitting process. Same for the bottom brackets, no hole so, do you drill these holes prior to putting them on the lift strut?

Yes I drilled mine ahead of time. There were dimensions of where they should be, and those brackets are of a size such that you would not want to deviate from the dimensions.

Once it all bolts up loosely it can move around enough to get the geometry right.