Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: My opinion: old fibre-glass fuel tanks are a real hazard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: My opinion: old fibre-glass fuel tanks are a real hazard

Wayne Was the plane ever flown? If not maybe the Quick drain valves were never installed. Seems like there was another post a couple of months ago that had the same issue. No drain valves and the whole wing filled up with gas.
    Dutch

Not flown much, Dutch. I was told when I bought it with 7.5 hours on the Hobbs that no gasoline had been put in the wing tank. There is the standard drain that you use to check for water but when I tried to get some fuel out of it, nothing would come out. Gas did come out the wing drain hole which is near the root of the wing on the trailing edge. If there is any other drain access, I don't know where it would be. Can you tell me more about Quick drains?
    Thanks for your help,
    Wayne

There is a small sump in the bottom of the wing tank.With a small threaded hole in the center it is covered up in the covering process. after paint you burn a hole through the fabric and install the quick drain valve. It is where you check for water contamination. The line coming out of the root of the tank near the rear spar is the fuel supply line to the system. Feel the bottom of the tank you should be able to feel a small bump it will usually have a re-enforcement patch installed over it.
    Dutch
    Last edited by Dutch; 10-24-2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Jwayneball@aol.com View Post
    Not flown much, Dutch. I was told when I bought it with 7.5 hours on the Hobbs that no gasoline had been put in the wing tank...............
    Thanks for your help,
    Wayne
    Wayne It is extremly unlikely that a tank that has never had fuel in it would have deteriated to the point of leaking. I would look to the fitting installations for the problem. Before you tear your wings apart unscrew all the fittings and reinstall using a good tread sealant and being carefull not to over tighten. Then do the leak test that is described on the other recent post.

Dutch