Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: A question on fuel/oil mixing from a novice

Default A question on fuel/oil mixing from a novice

Hello All,
    Novice Kitfox III/Rotax582 pilot here and I have a question for those less mechanically challenged than myself: some of my fellow flyers at my local aerodrome advise me to meticulously mix my unleaded gas with my two-stroke oil in my jerry-can before than filling up my KF III 6-gallon fibre-glass wing tanks. This is time consuming and for the time being I have opted out of their advice, I simply taxi along to my aerodrome's fuel pump to fill up and then simply add the oil in on top of the fuel; I assume that by the time this particular fuel hits the carburators it will have gone through so much vibration from the running engine and shaking from the taxiing on the bumpy grass strip that it will be well and truly mixed thus saving me all the jerry-can cocktail-like preparations. Am I right or am I being carelss with my engine?
    I would appreciate any comment likely to make me a somewhat less ignorant mechanic.
    Best regards,
    Kiriako

Default Re: A question on fuel/oil mixing from a novice

I did that once with a 503 powered ultralight ,..pulled up to a pump,..dumped in 5 gallons of fuel and then put the oil in,..( years ago when I was just a novice ) I had to replace the rear piston after that flight,..burnt a hole right thru it ,..it's best to mix the fuelk and oil first,..let it set for at least 5 minutes after the mix ,..then pour it in ,..or ,..get the oil injector system installed on your plane ,..then the injector does all the work for you ,..
    my model 2 with the blue head 582 had the oil injector set up ,..after each flight I checked my oil reservoir,..I never let it go below half full ,..so i can't tell you how many fuel fill ups per reservoir capacity.

oh and I also used sea foam additive ,..keeps the carbon build up to a minimum ,..but to each his own

Chase

Many thanks for the advise; with respect to the carbon build-up and sea-foam additive, could you please clarify? I have not slightest clue as to what you are talking about .
    Thank you again for the sound advise,
    Kiriako

Understood. I will follow your advise. Here in Spain the best choice of oil I have is Catrol's TT Power One and I put in a 2% mixture.
    Thanks again,
    Kiriako

one of the down falls of mixing oil with gas is you get more carbon build up,..using sea foam and/or a higher grade oil can prolong the tear down time a bit but it's still a good practice to follow the recomended "de-carbon" procedure listed on the Rotax site for each engine ,..check for carbon on top of the pistons ,..in the ring groove's and if you find some ,..use the proper tool to removed the carbon in the ring groove's ,..don't use a screw driver also check the jugs for scratches chips missing from the skirts of the jug etc ,...basically any damage,..
    you can get gasket kits for the rotax motors pretty reasonable on E bay

Chase

I think my manual says this should be done every 50 hrs. Is this realistic? For an engine using a fuel/oil mix should it be done sooner?