Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grove provides design details on Kitfox 7075 SPIRNG landing gear FYI

Default Re: Grove provides design details on Kitfox 7075 SPIRNG landing gear FYI

Ah Dorsal...and that's the rub!

The only two things that LSA give are the use in case of medical issue. The safety thereafter that is seriously questioned. The other being possible expanded resale value with future aviators if not PSEL. Of course I have no desire to sell "my" airplane" and I'll keep fit forever though I'm approacing the seasoned age...and besides I seem to be getting a bit of Weight and balance creep.

Default Re: Grove provides design details on Kitfox 7075 SPIRNG landing gear FYI

Why not build it for the 1550 gross, but only show the mtow of 1320 in the paperwork to be LSA compliant?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

That would seem to make the most sense, as I believe you must meet the LSA definition at the time of the plane's original certification to have it qualify as LSA. If you certify at 1550, then it could never be brought back to LSA compliance if needed. Not sure about bringing the MTOW up to 1550 at a later date if needed, but that would seem doable??
    RobS

Yes, you can change the maximum takeoff weight to a higher figure at a later date.

You can build your aircraft as E-AB, certify it with a takeoff weight of 1320 pounds and fly the aircraft with a sport pilot or above. If it meets the definition of LSA a sport pilot may fly it.

You may later go back and make a “major change” to increase the weight to 1550 with the FAA. It will require additional restricted flight testing of 5 hours. Once the weight is changed above 1320 only a private pilot or higher may operate the aircraft. You may never go back down in weight to make it LSA again as it will no longer meet the “continuously operated” definition of LSA. It may no longer be flown by a sport pilot.

Think of LSA as a one way revolving gate at the subway. Once you leave, you are outside and there is no hand stamp to return. Once the aircraft is certified for heavier weight, there is no return to LSA.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

I will use my SS with (912uls or Viking fh110) mostly for back country flying hunting and fishing, I will carry some stuff in it, so what is the max gross weigth that this air plane can support?

To know if it will be more efficent to up grade my landing gear.
    Last edited by chefwarthog; 03-01-2011 at 11:47 AM.

The max gross for the airframe per Kitfox is 1550 as non-LSA EAB. Other considerations come into play as wieght increase affects stall speed, etc. and we are the manufacturer that declares so to speak. Still, my plan seems to be to certificate LSA compliant at 1320 and build to 1550 as suggested. I'm awaiting a Grove reply regarding stiffness however. Besides, maybe the heavy gear will make my landings look good to the NAAB here at KCOI. (National Association of Airport Bums)

Regarding going from 1550 to 1320 post certificate.
    Well, you could deregister the aircraft and then reregister it again as new "1320" LSA legal plane. But of course you would have to fly off another 40 hours. LSA rules are sorta grey though, exept for gross weight ,as it's on the paper work.. But by LSA rules, if your plane stalls at the legal 51 mph everyday, except one day when it stalled at 53 mphs ( for some reason), you can NEVER fly it as LSA again.. At least that's what the rules say. Will the FAA test fly your plane? No, but they will check the paperwork and if anthing is recorded that make the plane fall outside of LSA (like you wrote down the 53 mphs stall speed reading), it can't ever be flown LSA again.

Roger