Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 912 uls vs Viking HF110

Default 912 uls vs Viking HF110

And why not a Honda injection Vikink HF110 instead of a Rotax 912 ULS???
    Go see for your self at @....and let me know.

http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/Tech.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bj7P7ZihEc

Default Re: 912 uls vs Viking HF110

The Viking engine looks very interesting to me too. I wonder how well it will fit inside a round cowl. That big radiator might be a problem. I won't buy an engine unless the Mcbeans have engineered a firewall package for it.

In my search so far, the 912's negative side is the high cost and dual carbs. The Rotec leaks too much oil and there's no liquid for the cabin heat. On the plus side, the Viking has Honda engineering, reliability, liquid cooling, 110 horsepower, and a lower price tag than the other two.

I keep waiting for John or Debra to call me so I can order my new Super Sport!

Rex Phelps

What I like from the Vikink, is that it seem neat with no mess of pipe and tubing and no cab heating prob. like the 912

Not that the Rotax is not a good engine, but it's tag price is the one of the all Honda Fit and I need just the engine.

If the Kit Fox team make a firewall kit for this engine, I will consider that choice very seriously.

Look at the pictures......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chefwarthog; 02-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.

That is seriously cool. Everyone knows that Honda 4 cylinder engines are synonymous with performance and reliability, so to see someone get behind this conversion is great. Part availability for the core should be excellent, but all the auxiliary stuff (heater, exhaust, etc) is questionable and dependent on the success of Viking.

I don't see where the gearbox comes from. Are we to assume it's poached from the marine outboard installation?

The gearboxs is from Viking with a ratio of 2.33:1
    This engine hase the same RPM has the Rotax, with a smaller weigth.

Honda instal this motor in the formula Ford series racing, and in there outbord marine engine, so that why, this mecanical can sustain a hight RPM

I found another video that explain more in detail from Sun&Fun 2010...........

Excuse my english but it make me practise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdE33...eature=related

I'm sure the Honda core is bomb-proof but that's a very small part of the puzzle. Just about every modern Japanese four-banger will run all day because they've had about 60 years of design refinement. I doubt the same can be said of the gear drive on this conversion. It's not like this is the first auto conversion to come down the pike, and I'm sure it won't be the last. I agree the price looks attractive, but there is a reason: no track record. I'll let somebody else put the first 50,000 hours or so on one of these before I jump in.

I don't want to do the Deveil's layer, but did the Wright brother in 1903 did there first flight with an automotive engine in aluninium or not. No, I know what you mean ¨szicree¨ but do the Rotax engine is so much reliable. I know that Vikig is not new to modify automotive engine in to aircraft like the Subaru, does any body as realistic fact on those companies?????

Thanks, Eric
    Last edited by chefwarthog; 02-13-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Hi Eric, No the Wright bros did not use an automotive engine, they designed and built their own engine thus it was the very first aircraft engine solely built for aviation. As for the reliability its very easy to see / read / learn about the Rotax 9 series reliability they have flown tens of thousands of hours, the Viking engine may very well be a good engine at sometime but has no flight record as of yet. Just my $.02
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

In Fact the Wright brother did not disegned there own engine, but they turn to Charles Edward Taylor who build an inline motor from aluminium for the Flyer 1.

There is no flight record of the HF 110 yet it is a new engine, but have you info on Viking compagnie?
    Last edited by chefwarthog; 02-13-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Google "Eggenfellner" and "Eggenfellner engine problems" for more info on the company behind the engine. They have a pretty long and checkered history with Subaru conversions for RVs and Glastars.

Still, looks intriguing.

Chris Ross
    Chicago