Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New KF 3 Owner with a Flaperon question

Default New KF 3 Owner with a Flaperon question

Hello to all fellow Kitfoxers,
    I am very proud to announce my (uninvited) entry into your community having just bought s Kitfox III, I am absolutely thrilled! I made my maiden flight a few days ago and while overall it was a wonderful experience I did have a bit of a scare when I tried to put in a bit of flaps turning into the base leg of the pattern at my local aerodrome and discovered that it was not possible as the flaperons simply moved back to their normal position! I figure that the famous "friction pad" is missing from the root of the flaperon lever asembly and that is why they will not stay in position. I do not have the constructor's manual, would someone have a photo of a friction pad so that I can see what it looks like? If anyone is kind enough to answer a poor Kitfox novice I would be extremely grateful.
    All the best to all
    Kiriako
    Aka "The Iberian Kitfox" (I am based in Madrid, SPAIN)

Default Re: New KF 3 Owner with a Flaperon question

Did you try to tighten the nut on the bolt? Mine sometimes slips, and I ended up having to put lock tight on it so it would not loosen up over time. The friction pad can be made out of a piece of old boot leather too!

Default Re: New KF 3 Owner with a Flaperon question

Steve and Akflyer,
    I am indebted to you both. Now I know what the friction pad looks like and what I should attempt as a first remedy, i.e. tighten the nut on the friction pad assemply bolt. If that does not work I will have to add a disk of some sort of friction material in between the assembly disks to improve traction. I will let you know how things turn out...many thanks again.
    Kiriako