Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: new build need asst..

Default new build need asst..

hello a friend and i starting on a kf4 he purchased. it was compleated from original owner and has since been taken apart we have a very old 4 inch manual. the wings and frame are together. we attached the wings and ran a line from front of wing tip to wing tip and the line is crossing behind the front wing bolts about 4 inches. is the front of the wings supose to be angled back or straight across. we cant find the correct answer in this overcomplicated manual. there is half a page on how to incert a bolt lol...

Default Re: new build need asst..

The procedure in the builder's manual is to build the wings straight...no sweep. In my 4 manual it is in the wing section on page W-B-8, steps 17 and 18.

When the wings are swept, the Center of Gravity limits for the airplane will move in the direction of the sweep.

Builders using a heavy engine often sweep the wings forward a couple degrees.

Those wanting to carry a heavy load in the baggage may sweep the wings back a couple degrees.

The weight and balance paperwork for this plane may give you a hint why yours are swept back.

Someone better at math than I am could probably tell you how to figure what the wing sweep has done to the CG limits on your plane.
    Last edited by t j; 01-23-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Default Re: new build need asst..

Are you sure the wings are swept. If the airplane is in the three point, an optical illusion can make them appear swept. As the dihedral and the elevated wing tips can make them appear behind the wing root.