Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: I Almost Lost My Mind Today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: I Almost Lost My Mind Today

Dorsal,
    Funny you should mention this. I couldn't recall what type of nuts I took off when I disassembled the rudder for re-cover. Yesterday I went through my nuts and bolts and found the bolts I removed and they were not drilled for a cotter pin. I was always taught that if the bolt was holding something that moved, like a control surface or control linkage, it should be a castellated nut. I was worried I would get some grief at inspection time so I drilled the four bolts to received cotter pins before I installed them. I have noticed that there are a several places that I would have thought should have had castellated nuts installed, but didn't. Some of the elevator control linkage, where the rudder cables attach to the rudder, the rudder itself just to name a few. Perhaps because the rudder uses rod ends there is no tendency for the bolt to move therefore nylocks are ok. Not trying to open canned worms here, just an observation from an old cow hand!

One other "trick" that I recalled when starting the nut...I took a popsicle stick and put a drop of superglue on the end then placed the nut on the superglue. When dry it is then easy to control the start of the nut without dropping it. Once the nut is started, then change up to the wrenches.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

We haven't gotten to this point, but I picked up one of these (TurnPro Magnetic Finger) in hopes that it will make the task easier (easy would be too much to hope for).

I've decided to cut off these weird fittings on my classic IV and put regular hinges on instead...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Angry Re: I Almost Lost My Mind Today

I hate to admit this, but, I actually dropped a wrench while tightening the rudder bolts, the wrench quickly found it's way to the inside bottom of the rudder. Yes, take all the nuts/washers/bolts out again and most carefully shake the rudder to retrieve the wrench. I then tied a piece of string onto the wrench thereafter.

If you only have to take the rudder off once to retrieve your parts you are doing well. And don't forget Murphy's Law is usually at work waiting until you are on the last bolt before you loose something inside...good times
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I also hate to admit it but there may be a couple washers floating around inside my rudder!