Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Any Kitfox/Avid/etc owners in central Georgia?

Default Any Kitfox/Avid/etc owners in central Georgia?

I just bought a KF2 and would like to get a flight in a similar airplane before taking mine up for the first time. I got plenty of tailwheel experience, just not LSA time. I live in Warner Robins. Thanks!

-Nick

Default Re: Any Kitfox/Avid/etc owners in central Georgia?

I would highly recommend that you get some transition training from a CFI that is familiar with these planes.

Flying a Cub or Citabria is a lot different than a Kitfox, especially on the landing roll-out and takeoff roll. The adverse yaw is sufficient to cause a ground loop if you are not ready for it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Any Kitfox/Avid/etc owners in central Georgia?

Nick,

Here is my experience with buying my Kitfox III and flying it some 400 miles to my home airport at Las Cruces, NM.

In August 2007 I got a wild hare to get back in flying after not flying for 28 years. I got my physical and got a bi-annual after about 6 hours in a 172. I got a couple hours in a Skyranger light sport to get the feel of a lighter plane. I then got 7 1/2 hours in a Decathalon and a 140. I was given some stick time in a Kitfox IV but did not get to take off or land.

Against the advice of my instructor I went to Arizona and bought my Kitfox III and flew it back to Las Cruces, NM. I had less than 100 flying hours logged over 30 years and less than 14 of those were in a taildragger.

I was nervous doing that, but felt I had prepaired myself. Only you and maybe advice from your instructor can determine what is ok for you.

One factor in my success was that my Fox has Grove gear. Don't know if stock gear is as easy to fly as Grove.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove