Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 912 exhaust connections

Default Re: 912 exhaust connections

Yep....tried all that. I knew this day would come and was hoping it would be later rather than sooner. As my dad use to say.....”suck it up and work the problem”. Sooo, that’s what I’ll do. Keep the suggestions coming!
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

A lot of guys swear by Mouse Milk. I’m pretty sure it’s available from Aircraft Spruce and others. Might be worth a try.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I've heard that a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF fluid is the best penetrating oil available. Maybe worth a try?? JImChuk

Have you tried an ice cold towel on the header pipe and some heat on the muffler port, along with the penetrating oil?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Acetylene torch is the only thing I found that worked. Heats is quickly to red hot. Have someone on the pipe pulling/twisting as you heat the collar. Not a fun process at all.... alot of cussing.

I did find that I had to tweek and realign the collars to match back up to the pipes. When you go back together, sand the crap out of the collar and make it to where the pipes slide effortlessly in the collars. Use the Nickel anti seize. Anytime I have my cowling off, I grab the muffler and pull on it to make sure the joints still slip freely.

Yep....tried all that too. Using Pete’s idea with a 3/8th nut,bolt and socket. Using mapp torch hasn’t worked, so acetylene is next. Thanks for your suggestions....keep em’ coming!

BTW...don’t expand too far with this setup....you’ll bend the tab into the header.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Maybe a little GPS

I can't imagine that the bolt as you show it between the spring tabs plus heat from a torch wouldn't work. Unless it somehow welded it's self together. (not likely) Show us pictures of your success! JImChuk

Well....here it is...fresh off the airplane. What a pain that was. The cracks are from the two rear headers. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can save the muffler......a new one will be $795 from Kitfox and is custom made for your headers. It takes about 3 weeks. My guess is the cracks are from the slip joints not slipping. The muffler is from the early 90’s, so I’m not willing to fix it and then have it crack again from age. But......I may change my mind.

Mouse milk, mapp gas and a week of soaking finally did the trick. Did I mention it was a pain?
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Maybe a little GPS

Weld it up and keep the joints freed up. Heat the collars up red hot and woller them open a little. That will help in keeping them able to slip freely.

Unfortunately that muffler has become so work hardened and fatigued, just welding the cracks will fail again very quickly. I added reinforcing plates on my last muffler over the cracks. That helped but also re-oriented the sleeves just enough that getting the pipes to line up was almost impossible. Then the stinger and blast tube failed rendering the muffler scrap.

The permanent fix would be to cut off the sleeves and replace them with ball joints.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos