Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh crap...covering gone wrong

Default Re: Oh crap...covering gone wrong

Just an update for in case this thread comes up on a search...

I got the medium fabric(dacron) and had the wings recovered in a day. The uncertified Dacron generic fabric did have a few small irregularities(a few snagged threads, but hardly anything to worry about). Nothing that I believe would be cause for any concern of strength or integrity. I'm really glad I went with the medium as it is significantly thicker. I went to just abut 350 degrees and it looks great. Got the rib stitching done quickly as well. Used flat chord and took my time with each stitch to ensure it layed flat on the top and bottom and then mashed them down even more by sliding the needle over them. All in all I was caught back up to where I was when my concerns arose in just a day. So for $100 in fabric and a day I am much more confident in the final product.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geowitz; 01-22-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Looks really good. I'm excited to try the Stewarts system on my rebuild project, but I have a long way to go before I start putting fabric back on. The motor just came off this week...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 01-22-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yeah, I really do love it. I'm a model airplane guy as well and I would consider using this system to be easier than covering a model with monokote. Plus, no fumes to worry about so I can keep the garage closed while it's cold out. There's also a lot of flexibility with the glue if you want to adjust the fabric so there's no rush to beat the glue drying. Just follow their online manual and watch the youtube videos they put out and it really is quite fun!

Geowitz- looks like a nice cover job on those wings. Congrats.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Your covering job looks very professional -- for peace of mind, it was probably worth changing. The benefit of not shrinking the fabric to the absolute max temp. is you have room for making any repairs, if necessary.

I wish I was as far along as you are, but temps in Alberta do not make it too pleasant for working in the garage...

Mike