Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh crap...covering gone wrong

Default Oh crap...covering gone wrong

I made an assumption... I just covered my wings. Everything was going great. The Stewart system was a blast and I really enjoyed the results. Apparently though, according to the manual, Dacron is not supposed to be heated up to 350 degrees which I of course did under an assumption as directed by both Poly fiber and the Stewarts system using their cloth. The manual says max 300 degrees. I guess there's really nothing I can do I except cry. So I'm really just looking to vent here.

Default Re: Oh crap...covering gone wrong

Did you melt through the fabric? If not and the fabric is tight I "think" you are OK. As I understand it the primary problem with over heating is melting through the fabric (which I have done and fixed)
    Last edited by Dorsal; 01-12-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

No burn through, just went to about 350+ which the manual seems pretty adamant that you don't do. What really got me started down this road was that as I was rib stitching it was tearing more than I really would expect around the holes. So as I was looking up about the Dacron I finally saw the note in the manual. I'm also starting to think using a higher weight would be beneficial anyways on the wings since the Dacron is 1.8 ounce.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 01-12-2011 at 07:35 PM.

I remember that from the manual but as it turned out I also had Poly Fiber cloth (as stamped on the cloth). Does it clearly state what the risk of over temp is? and where did your cloth come from?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Was the fabric you used supplied by Stewarts?

If not, was it the type of fabric they recommend?

Maybe a call to them (Stewarts) would be in order to see if you have made a good covering or scrap...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Cloth is definitely Dacron and from the original 93' kit, but it has been wrapped up and never touched until now so it's usable. The manual mentions warpage, but also states specifically that since I don't have stits fabric, that I shouldn't go above 300.

Not supplied by Stewarts, but they confirmed compatability.

I guess I would want to know if that is a limit set for melt through or if they are suggesting that over temp compromises the integrity of the cloth.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

BTW your covering job looks really nice so far, sure hope you don't have to start over. Makes some calls tomorrow and get an expert opinion (if one doesn't chime in on the group).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I used Dacron on my Skyraider and also used the Stewart Systems.I was told the reason for not shrinking to 350 was for structural damaged such as the aluminum longerons on the Skyraider.As far as Dacron goes its pretty much the same as the certified stuff with out the certification stamped on it.I used the middle weight on mine but some use the lightweight.I would bet you will be fine if you didnt burn through it.I shrunk mine to 330,was afraid to go any higher but the guy helping me has lots of experience and wanted me to go to 350.I shrunk my flaps and ailerons to 275 as suggested.Good Luck Randy