Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Working with Fibergalss

Default Working with Fibergalss

Need to make some modifications to the cowling on my Super Sport. I have never worked with fiberglass and I'm unsure of the type fabric, epoxies, and methods, etc that I should use. Can someone with experience in laying up fiberglass point me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Danny
    Hopkinsville, Ky
    Super Sport
    under Construction

Default Re: Working with Fibergalss

I am a big fan of WEST Systems, you might want to check out their website.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hey Danny, Go to FiberglassSite.com, they have lots of info online or can tell you what products work best with others. They sell all types of cloth and resins and are very helpful. Good luck.

Dick B

I will pass along one tip from my fiberglass Sensei, when asked what holds fiberglass airplanes together, the answer is; sandpaper (in other words its all about surface prep). I used to fly "plastic" planes and have built a number of things with fiberglass, this tip has served me well.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 01-10-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Wood Epoxy Stabilization Technique

WEST System resins were originally developed for laminated wood boat construction and that is where I became familiar with their range of products. Boats made with this system were actually composite structures of wood, epoxy, and fiberglass or more sophisticated fibers. Almost immediately builders began using WEST System resins for fiberglass work. Since I've been working with these resins for more than 20 years it's my first choice when I need to make a modification to a fiberglass structure. The company has always produced excellent training materials.

You may also find this useful.

Good Luck!!

Hey Guys
    Thanks for the information and heading me in the right direction. Had no idea what I needed. If I run into trouble, I will be back with more questions.
    Danny