Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Painting seat pan...

Default Painting seat pan...

The previous owner of my kit tried to paint the seat pan- without very good results. Its driving me crazy.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday sanding it down and fixing some sloppy cutouts. Now I'm thinking I'd like to go ahead and prime it. Any suggestions on paint?
    Jeff

Default Re: Painting seat pan...

jeff , on the fiberglass cowl i used the poly fiber epoxy white primer then poly tone on top of that . its been holding up pretty well . if you dont need the primer for other parts then its pretty expensive for just the seat pan . for my seat pan , i just shot some rattle can krylon paint on the parts that arent covered by the cushions . when some of my higher priority projects are done ill revisit the seat pan . for now it doesnt look bad .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks Chuck.

I think I'll just go the "rattle can" route for now. And, like you, re-do it later if need be.
    Jeff

Go to "napa" and get some grey self etching primer. Great stuff. My interior is all done with it. Light, easy to do, very tough, non glare, and cleans up well.

If only I could track down the elusive NAPA 7220 self etching primer! That's what I have decided to use.

That stuff flies off the shelves though. I went again yesterday and they had already sold out of the shipment they got 2 days earlier.

Must be good stuff! They're gonna hold a can for me out of the next shipment.
    Jeff

the etching primer will work on the fiberglass ? would think it would be more for metal if it etchs ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I wondered about that also. But, when I was looking for paint for fiberglass, many recommended the self etching primers. I looked at the Duplicolor self etching primer I have and it says suitable for fiberglass. So there you have it- go figure.
    Jeff