Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: IVO prop

Default IVO prop

I have been planning on using a IVO 3 blade medium in flight adjustable prop on my EA-81 engine because the engine came with everything needed to install this propellor except the actual blades.
    A very experianced pilot from my local EAA has had an IVO prop fail on his wife and strongly recomends that I use something else.
    This EA-81 puts out 140hp and I would still like a 3 blade in flight adjustable.
    Are these IVO really bad or did he just get a bad one? Would I be safer with something else?
    Thanks, Tyler

Default Re: IVO prop

I thought long and hard about the IVO prop, and talked with them a couple of times. I settled on the Warp Drive and love it. It is pretty stout and held up real well one day when I was "chopping alfalfa" (don't ask). It has ground adjustable and in-flight adjustable options.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Are these IVO really bad or did he just get a bad one? Would I be safer with something else?
    Tyler, The Ivo's are really good props. They are well built , very durable props. and will give you the most performance for the least money. It's the only prop. I'll fly behind on my Kitfox and I have 1600 hours behind them on two different Kitfox models and most of my friends use them. They are reliable and much less complicated when it comes to pitch changing. No complex hubs to fail or maintain. Just install it per manufacturers instructions. The blades themselves are the strongest on the market. Much more durable than Warp blades which are also good props. by the way.
    It is also the smoothest prop. I've ever flown behind.
    Is it the best choice for your particular engine? I'd seek Ivo's recommendation first. They'll tell you the straight dope on engine prop. combos. if you call them. It's a good idea to contact any manufacturer before installing their prop.on any engine you are considering.
    If going Ivo you would at least need the medium version or magnum if you are really getting 140 hp. out of an EA-81.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for the insight. I will deffinately give IVO a call about putting the prop on a 140hp before I install it.