Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Salt + Kitfox 2

Default Salt + Kitfox 2

I just bought my first kitfox, a model 2 (thanks Aaron!). While driving it home on an open trailer, (neither the seller or myself saw this coming) the salty winter roads caused a nice salty crust to form over the entire airplane! We had plugged up the wing roots and spars, so I think they are fairly clean, but I gave the rest of the airplane a good watering down when i got back last night.

Now, what have I missed? Are there any special precautions I need to take? Any place that is especially susceptible to rust? Should I coat the whole thing with corrosion x or some other chemical? What are your ideas? Thanks!

-Nick

Default Re: Salt + Kitfox 2

Hi Nick, this is my recommendation, get a large jug of Dawn dish washing soap add a strong concentration in a 5 gal pail and washer the complete airplane, rinse well let it dry and wash again (use a brush when washing) a power washer the second time around then wipe all the metal parts down with WD-40, as for the corrosion X it's and excellent product I'm not sure what effect it may have on the fabric. Living in MN I know salt and its a nasty thing rinsing will not get rid of it.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Default Re: Salt + Kitfox 2

Caution on the power washer idea. That was tried once by a very well known Kitfox builder to his show plane at a fly-in and it began loosening the finish tapes.