Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 0-200 help

Default 0-200 help

Ok I have a couple questions. First with the 0-200 does everyone use an oil cooler? Second, when using a cooler, where do you attach the oil lines to the engine? I have looked for this type of installation but most 0-200 installs do not use a cooler. Thanks for any help. Bryan

Default Re: 0-200 help

Steve's Aircraft makes an oil cooler adapter for the 0-200/0-300 that goes under the spin-on oil filter. I am building up an 0-200 and am not planning on using an oil cooler, although I do have a spin-on oil filter with a "Cool Can" heat sink clamped to the oil filter with ducting to blow cool air over the oil filter. Having worked on numerous C-150's which have an adequate design, but waste alot of cooling air. A good baffle design and reducing the leaked air goes a long way towards keeping the oil temp under control; cooler cylinders, cooler oil. I would suggest the spin on oil filter first with blast ducting. It extends the oil changes from 25 hrs (oil screen) to 50 with the filter, plus it works 10x better. (The pad for it is just behind the left rear cylinder, 3 bolts). Wolff also makes a remote oil filter that you can mount on the firewall as well. Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy. Do you have any pics of the setup you are going to use?

Bryan,
    I have the Steves oil filter adapter on my 0-200 which is great. I tried the finned aluminum heat sink that goes on the oil filter but it basically did nothing on my application. In fact I have a couple of extras in the cabinet if anyone is interested. There is an adapter that goes between the oil filter adapter and the oil filter that has provisions for oil cooler fittings. I went with an Earls oil cooler first but it just didn't do the job so I finally went with the standard aircraft cooler with a 2 1/2" SCAT tube feeding it from the engine baffling. Now, it finally works well. As Andy said, it is vital that you seal all seams, corners, baffling seals and even between the cylinders to assure that your cooling air is going to good use.
    I also installed a Rotec throttle body that works extremely well on the 0-200. I now burn less fuel than the Rotax 912 ULS while maintaining very close EGT temps.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Mike yes I am trying to find the adapter that holds the filter as this is what I do not have. Once I can locate one of these then I believe I will go with Steve's cooler adapter. I also noticed that it looks like your prop extension is a little longer than the 4 1/2"? If so where did you get it? I could sure use a 5" extension if I can find one. Again Thanks

I had the prop extension made by Saber.