Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Throttle Levers

Default Dual Throttle Levers

Maybe I am weird, but I much prefer to fly with my left hand on the throttle and the stick in my right hand (like a Cub). Has anyone figured out how to do this on a Kitfox 7 with a Rotax 912s and still have a throttle control available for the co-pilot in the right seat? Some sort of dual throttle control or something?

Jim

Default Re: Dual Throttle Levers

I think it can be done. I was trying to recall the set-up in the Lancair IV I helped build. It was for the side sticks rather than the throttles, however. They used a mechanical linkage behind the panel that connected right and left side sticks. I think you would need something like the ballcrank in the Model IV behind the panel to create a parallel mechanism that would then feed cables to the carbs. In order to work, both sides would have to be mechanically linked so when sitting in the left seat and operating the throttle, the passenger side throttle would move as well.

Lowell

Why don't you just sit in the right seat.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Interesting that you suggest I sit in the right hand seat, because I have already decided that is a very good solution in case nothing else can be done. The main problem as I see it is that I will then need to build the panel with the main instruments flopped over to the right side. This would work OK for me, but I would end up with an odd-ball airplane with reduced resale value. I would much rather come up with something that will allow me to stay in the left seat.

Can I just run two separate throttle cables to the carb lever and attach them together there? Both throttle handles in the cockpit would move together, but thats OK. Or would this have too much friction? I'm hoping someone has already done this sort of thing.

I've seen the Zenith series of airplanes (601, 701 etc) use dual throttles in some of their planes. They have a center stick in some models and the throttle is outboard of each seat.

It maybe possible to get on their user's forum or similar web sites to see pictures and talk to builders to see how their system works and if it can be adapted to the kitfox.

The Zenith also uses multiple engine options which include the Rotax 912 etc.

Good luck.

The Allegro 2000 also has a center stick with throttle levers to the inside of each door. The Allegro runs the Rotax 912s, so there looks to be at least a couple places to look for parts or how to do it. Keep us informed.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Jim,
    FWIW I alo consider doing this as most of my time was built using right hand stick. In the end I built it as designed and use my left hand, the switch was fairly painless and now I don't think twice about it.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

HeyJim,I have 600 hrs inRV-4,rv-6,Super Decathelon,and Citabria's.All right stick left thottle.I'm building a supersport and flying it in the right seat.I'm going to use a Dynon Skyview in the right side of the panel.In the left side of the panel I'm going to cut the same size hole as the Skyview and make a storage compartment with door.If I later was to sell the aircraft I would swap skyview and storage compartment.Thottle in center and dual brakes,center inst.panel analog altimeter,airspeed ind.I,m currently renting a Remos GX and I fly it right seat.No problem.The airpark I live at we have a Delta airline pilot(ex USAF pilot) and he flies a RV-7a right seat.If you jump into a boat which side do you drive it from?If you talk to John Mcbean from Kitfox Aircraft ask him what side he flies on.Good luck in your choice.
    Last edited by GaryNo; 12-31-2010 at 07:23 PM.

GaryNo,
    What a great response! I like your idea of flying from the right seat, but making the panel easily convertible. Could you send or post a picture of your panel.

Now my next related question: I also much prefer a throttle quadrant type lever rather than the push-pull type. Does anyone have a suggested brand that would be easy to mount off the bottom center of the panel, or the center consol?

Jim

Hey Jim,I have not started my panel yet so pixs are not available.As for your thottle quadrant you may want to think about the push pull throttle cables from Kitfox A/C.The reason is because of the Rotax dual carb set up.These dual carbs need to be and kept in sync.To find a thottle quadrant for dual carbs may be hard to find.This is my 4th a/c build and if one thing I've learned is when you stray from original design or equipmnt the term "Experimntal" intensifies.The push pull throttle will feel natural probably on your first flight.